Auto antenna problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Default Auto antenna problems!!

Hey there everyone, Iam 18 years old, and have been wanting a cadillac ever since I first saw the devilles with the northstar when I was about 6 years old...I finally saved up enough to buy a 86 fleetwood brougham ( im a tall guy and need comfort ) well anyway I got a pretty good deal on it from a friend of my dads, it only has 37k original miles and is in perfect condition, exept for one thing, the automatic antenna motor just keeps going and going and the antenna never moves, I am just wondering what and how I have to do to fix this problem, also if there is anything I can do to temporarily fix the problem so I can get to school and work without having to disconnect my battery every time I stop.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Auto antenna problems!!

First thing lets get the power supply disconnected to that antenna, two ideas come to mind, find the fuse and pull it or just cut the wires. That antenna is fried anyway. Inside there is a spool with a nylon cable, sort of like a weed wacker only wider that runs up the chrome antennayou see from the outside of the car. The antenna is actually hollow and this nylon runs up and down and wraps around the spool. Either the nylon is snapped or the gears are stripped. Either way its garbage. You can check at the auto supply houses for an after market power antena, probably $60 to $80 and then install that. It won't be direct fit so some patience will be neded. You'll have to cut the factory harness and then splice in the wires to the new unit. I have done this on two occasions so it will work. Other options are wrecking yard or dealer for the part in which case it will be direct fit and plug and play.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:34 PM

I would deffineatly cut those atenna wires for that so I wouldnt have to disconnect the battery, thats crazy!

Old 09-19-2007, 01:05 AM
Tech Certified Members

HEY SOCAL: New antenna is about 150.00 to 175.00 at usapartssupply.com if you are wanting to keep to all OEM parts. Nice to keep the old girl original if you ever go to sell. Good luck.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: brougham1

HEY SOCAL: New antenna is about 150.00 to 175.00 at usapartssupply.com if you are wanting to keep to all OEM parts. Nice to keep the old girl original if you ever go to sell. Good luck.
I thought that OEM would be too rich for an 18 year old, it would be for the one that lives in my house anyway, because he'd be hitting me up for the cash!

Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 PM

I saw a power antenna on E-bay a couple weeks back. It was priced fairly cheap. Keep checking there too.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

For sure they are very affordable on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/90-97-Cadillac-Fl...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 09-20-2007, 03:22 AM

Thanks alot for all your help, I thought of pulling the fuse after I posted the thread, so the last couple of days I have been without a power antenna which kills me to see this beauty of a car without every piece of equitment working to a factory level... I am saving my pennies for a new antenna ( collegestudent on a budget ) and cant wait to instal it, once I get it of course, thanks alot for all your help and im sure you will see me often on here!!

Old 09-20-2007, 11:37 AM

If only they had a 100 year warranty[sm=boosign.gif]

Old 02-23-2008, 12:35 PM

hey socal im also 18 years old with a 89 fleetwood with theexact same problem. My name is even chris to, kinda weird. but on my car there is a connector in the trunk with the antenna assembly that i just diconnected. My antenna is always up but it does the job.

Quick Reply: Auto antenna problems!!