Added another to my Fleet

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Added another to my Fleet

It's got 156,000 so he drove it but probably early in it's life it was wintering in FLA. I bought it from a dealer but I suppose I could call the gentleman and see if he has those items. He lives about 40 miles outside of Toronto. He did leave me a warranty on a recently purchased battery and 4 recent Michelins too are on the car.

I just got back from a swap meet with a buddy and as we entred the 401 (18 lane expressway) he asked me If I had it floored because the speedo was showing 141. I said hell no I haven't even got it half way yet!

I bought itto replace our third car, a 1994 Buick Regal,for the family but so far I'm the only one driving it. It's not that they don't want to, it's just that I have it all the time.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Forgot to mention that I do have the build data. I asked the sales manager to print it off. It is two pages of RPO codes. Build date was November 9, 1992 Arlington Texas and in service date was May 13, 1993 Toronto, Ontario. It had one warranty job which was a dual tether bolt install for the child seat, must have been a recall.

I found the Traction Control Off switch. This car has been laying patches with the traction Control ON. It was embarassing leaving the light at full throttle with the Traction Control off. The smoke was pouring off those Michelins, even my 19 year old riding shotgun was looking for a place to hide.This car is incredible!

Old 11-09-2008, 01:18 AM

New to the Forum. Beautiful car.

I just bought the same year, model, and color car from an owner in RI who got it from his grandfather in North Carolina. 81,000 miles. I paid $2,800.00 for it. Look it up on www.carsurvey.com under Cadillac Fleetwood 1993. I love this car!

My water pump was still working but the bearings were getting pretty worn so I replaced it. GM parts are inexpensive for this car. One can find all of the mechanical parts new but I found that just about every body part is no longer being made by GM or the after market part manufactures.

If you are thinking of keeping this car for a long time, buy the factory "Fleetwood rear wheel Driver Service Manual 1993" on eBay. It is inexpensive and it covers everything you need to know. I am using it as a guide to remove my cracked dash.

I did find a lot of rust on the back of the bumpers. Used POR15 on this. So many of these Northern Fleetwoods have rusted through chrome bumpers. Easy fix to avoid a very expensive chrome job down the road.

Is your dash in good shape? Mine has cracks everywhere. I ordered a used , like new, one from a Cadillac wrecking yard in California.

Next is a trip to a local auto upholstery shop to replace my worn and cracked leather on the front seats. I will have them replace the leather with the same vinyl that is on the rest of the seat. They quoted me $800.00 to have this done.

Happy Motoring!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

As luck would have it I have a nieghbour who is a Cadillac collector and retired GM mechanic. He gave me the service manual two days after seeing the car at our place. He belongs to the Professional Car Society so his own baby is a 1975 FleetwoodAmbulance, his daily is a 2004 DTS.

My interior is pretty much mint with a bit of wear on one panel of the drivers seat. Dash pad is very good. I could use a rear bumper cover as there is a bit of surface rust that continues to reappear after cleanings.

You are right on parts though, a lot of GMC truck parts on the chassis and the bullet proof small block Chevy. A lot of guys will say that the LT1 engine from 1994-96 is better BUT it is not and I repeat it is not an original Cheverolet small block. True it has more HP but both the L05 and LT1 have identical torque. This was the last passenger car made by GM to use the famous small block and after 1993 it did continue in the trucks until 2000 in some applications as the Vortec 5.7 L31 code.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: Katzmans Caddy

Thanks Rick, had the car for two days at my office, told my wife at dinner tonight, I'll never figure out women, she wants my Deville now!

aaaa i think id give it to her............. lol............... THE CAR, KATZ!

Old 11-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

I tried to give it to her but she is loyal to her Suburban.......I guess it has something to do with size.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:07 PM

Another plus having the 1993, 350 is it has the traditional seperate water pump and distributor assemblies, inexpensive and easy to replace, no Opti-Spark.

That said, I haven't tried to replace the spark plugs yet. Do you know if the fender well skirts have to come off to get at them or can I jack the car up and work from underneath the car using a universal on my socket wrench?

Any idea what Cadillac called this gold color in 1993? Gold or tan? Do you know where one can source a color chart for the interior and exterior colors.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Tech Certified Members

T M I ....... Lmao ..... thats funny

Old 11-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: phillips66

Another plus having the 1993, 350 is it has the traditional seperate water pump and distributor assemblies, inexpensive and easy to replace, no Opti-Spark.

That said, I haven't tried to replace the spark plugs yet. Do you know if the fender well skirts have to come off to get at them or can I jack the car up and work from underneath the car using a universal on my socket wrench?

Any idea what Cadillac called this gold color in 1993? Gold or tan? Do you know where one can source a color chart for the interior and exterior colors.
You can fit a Kindegarten class under that hood, no problem getting the plugs out at all, it's as simple as working on a 1970 Impala.

My build sheet lists that colour as "Driftwood". I've been watching fro a sales brochure on eBay but no luck yet.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: rickyd

T M I ....... Lmao ..... thats funny
I thought you'd like that!

Quick Reply: Added another to my Fleet