91 Brougham overheating ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Default 91 Brougham overheating ?

I have a 91 Fleetwood Brougham with the 5.7 350 (I know rare car). Up until this point the car has not given me no problems, even though I've only owned it for 2 1/2 months. A couple of weeks ago going down the interstate the light came on. I pulled over and opened the hood, andthe overflow bottle on the right was boiling over. That's when I noticedthe radiator caps arrows on the top was not even with the 2 hoses coming from the radiator going into the overflow bottle. (I loosendthe capa few days prior to this happening, thought I had it tight)I tighten the cap, put coolant in the bottle, and 2 days later on the interstate, same thing happened, this time I had the car towed home. Now in both cases any coolant that was put in the bottle was sucked into the radiator after the car was turned off.Both timesthe car overheated I was driving for about 1 hour. The last timeI added coolant to the bottle, the level had pretty much stayed where it is. A week ago I drove the car for a hour and a half, driving intown, not on the interstate, and it didn't overheat, well the light didn't come on (I need a gauge). Is it possible it overheated because the arrows weren't lined up properly, and when it boiled out, I didn't fill it up enough at first. I has so far not overheated yet, but I haven't been on the interstate with it for a extended period of time though. I very much appreciate any help with this, sorry for thelength of this post.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 91 Brougham overheating ?

Well your 350/5.7 is as good a motor as they come and imo not prone to overheating. Since the car is new to you I suggest having the coolant checked out to make sure it fine. When purchasing a used car it is always a good idea to get all thefluids checked out and changed if needed just so you havea base line.One area that is a possible weakness on the 5.7 chevy is the water pump, I mean they need t o be change at about 75,000 miles or so usually, I have had three in my GMC Suburban, Original, changed at 55,000 and now at 170,000.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:33 AM

Thank you sir for the reply. I did think it was the water pump to, but I had the car checked out and it ended up being the radiator. It has a bad core. Although since I don't know what's been done to the car even though the conditionof the car inside and outis excellent I will take your advice and change the water pump. I have another problem. Is the a/c a common problem for these cars? I mean the auto control unit inside.After driving for a while it stops blowing cold. I thought it was the control unit inside.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Is the blower stopping ? If yes I would look into the ground wire for the blower. After all these years the plastic clips on the terminal sometimes melt and get loose. While driving it could lead to intermittent grounding hence the blower not working.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

New to me ears, i just found out that some of the aftermarket water pumps are coming with PLASTIC impellers.

They can high-tech-talk to me until the cows come home, i would not put a PLASTIC impeller pump in any car of mine.

I would suggest that you inspect any pump before you accept it?

Old 09-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Stay away from "white box" parts that's for sure.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:58 PM

No sir the blower is not stopping. It will blow, but it will stop blowing cold. I suspect it might be the ac***ulator, but I've heard one of the few bad areas with these Fleetwood Broughams are the auto a/c unit inside the car.