1996 Fleetwood interior light problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 10:18 PM
Default 1996 Fleetwood interior light problem

Hi
1996 Fleetwood interior lamps all door, overhead and map lights stay on , had to pull fuse, then I read manual.
There is a module called convenience center under dash and against firewall left of steer wheel(anything but convenient to get to).
pulled the relay fed by fuse #27, relay good and it is fed by bcm.
I left relay out for several minutes and replaced, lights when out as normal.
A fluke with the bcm or hints of things to come?
Door doesn't unlock every time you shut engine and remove key, annoying but harmless
I just replace a bcm in my Saturn and I did the removal and replacement of dash parts, dealer flashed replacement BCM $400 and labor to flash$250
it would have been $150 more, if I hadn't done the biggest work,since labor is $150 an hour......OUCH!
It was doing quirky things too and progressively got worse...this BCM crap is the bain of all newer cars

Old 11-05-2018, 09:44 PM

Another light that is a problem is the glove box.
It has a slot on back wall of the box that is very hard to clip bulb on to.
When I've gotten it in place it falls off when box is open/closed a fews times.
Anyone know whats up 1996 fleetwood rear wheel?

Old 11-06-2018, 03:17 PM
Default solved

I dug out the service manual, it requires removing lift assist string and opening box beyond stop by pressing top middle of box til falls way open.
once it is open all the way 2 lamps are mounted above the box on a metal frame part of the dash structure.
Both bulbs were dis mounted and it is a struggle to contort fingers to snap them in place. in addition they are quite hot as you are doing this.
I guess most people would never bother. Sadly the lights illuminate the recesses in the dash behind the glove box better than the box itself.

The dash was poorly designed, bringing the HVAC in to the interior rather than leaving it in the engine compartment as the 80-92 cars eats up all the room
for a usable size glove box and a radio that is shallower than regular radios and way to hard to access the wires make aftermarket radios limited.