Cadillac Escalade The full sized sport utility vehicle that has combined the versatility of an SUV with the luxury associated with the Cadillac name

Super long travel on brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:34 AM
PRH
Default Super long travel on brakes

My Dad just bought a used 2004 Escalade that has super long travel before the brakes do anything. It's not the typical spongy effect that you get with air in the system, just that you have to get the brake pedal all the way down before it even starts to work. Once you get it down there, it seems to get the job done.

The dealer and some other guy said it's normal for this year's car. And I notice the 2008 are getting reviews about much firmer brake pedal feel.

If it's normal, is there a way to upgrade the brakes? I drove it and I think it's unsafe the way it is. After all, manufactures are talking about how a switch to LED brake lights give you that extra milliseconds to react, but this brake pedal must add a full second to getting the vehicle stopped!

Maybe stainless steal brake lines? An upgraded master cylinder?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Super long travel on brakes

More questions than answers for now. Have you taken it to GM dealer to see if they think it is normal? Does it brand new bake pads? Does it stop poorly at any certain speed range? or all? What did you drive proir to get the truck? An Escalade is not light, 7,000 lbs +, it's not going to stop like a car.There are brake upgrades kits out there,if you price them you may not want to go there.