Cadillac Escalade The full sized sport utility vehicle that has combined the versatility of an SUV with the luxury associated with the Cadillac name

Price of an '02?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Default Price of an '02?

I found an '02 Escalade with all the options I'm looking for. It's an AWD with the 6.0 engine, bench 2nd row seating, moonroof. It has 51,000 actual miles. However, it has a salvage title. The original owner is selling it, he only had it a few weeks when he got t-boned in an intersection, wasn't his fault. (I know the guy pretty well). Since it was so new, and the damage about $7,500, the insurance company wouldn't total it. In South Dakota, theybrand titles as "salvage"on any vehicle with damage of $5,000+ in any one accident. In fair condition, Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book put the value of this vehicle at around $14 - $15k. What is your guys' opinion of what this vehicle is worth? The owner is asking $18k for the vehicle (which is what it is worth in good/clean condition). But he says he's negotiable....Thanks in advance!

Old 05-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Price of an '02?

ORIGINAL: rahoyme

I found an '02 Escalade with all the options I'm looking for. It's an AWD with the 6.0 engine, bench 2nd row seating, moonroof. It has 51,000 actual miles. However, it has a salvage title. The original owner is selling it, he only had it a few weeks when he got t-boned in an intersection, wasn't his fault. (I know the guy pretty well). Since it was so new, and the damage about $7,500, the insurance company wouldn't total it. In South Dakota, theybrand titles as "salvage"on any vehicle with damage of $5,000+ in any one accident. In fair condition, Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book put the value of this vehicle at around $14 - $15k. What is your guys' opinion of what this vehicle is worth? The owner is asking $18k for the vehicle (which is what it is worth in good/clean condition). But he says he's negotiable....Thanks in advance!
IMO, I be looking for another Escalade that has never been hit. The price doesnt even make up for the fact that there are major repairs.

Once the structure has been bent and reworked, it will NEVER be as strong as before. The overall strengh is diminished.

You gonne pay KBB, then buy one that is a non-accident car. With an accident record, IMO, the car should be worth much less .. maybe as much as 30% off KBB. I wouldnt buy it, but that is me.

So Dakota is smart branding such cars as salvage .. I wish every State would do that in a major hit ...

Old 05-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Default RE: Price of an '02?

I just paid 21k for my 2004 that isn't salvage and has every option except a moonroof. The only time a salvage anything would be a good deal is if it is half off KBB pricing and you never intend to sell or trade it because it will be worthless to an outside buyer or dealer. It doesn't work to tell them how well it was fixed or how minor the damage was. You are better off finding a non salvage from a dealer and negotiating price. Mine was listed for 33k at the dealership. All you have to do is find 2-3 comparable trucks at other dealers and tell the one you are dealing with that you are willing to pay that amount. They will want to sell the car even though you knock the price down. Used car sales are the most profitable and I usually pay somewhere around trade-in value.