Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

Smoke from Beneath Car & Poor Idling

Old 11-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Default Smoke from Beneath Car & Poor Idling

I have a 1994 Cadillac Eldorado with the Nothstar engine.

I know I have an oil leak from my gasket of my oil pan. I have to replace 1 quart of oil every 2 weeks or less. I understand that this repair is very costly. I also know that 1 or more of my oxygen sensors needs replacement (check engine soon) light goes on after driving awhile. In addition, when I first start my car I smell a strong odor of gasoline. This odor goes away after a brief period.

Yesterday while driving in city traffic, a lot of smoke started coming up from beneath my car. Before this occurred my car was idling very roughly and had very poor accelearation. I then did some highway driving. When I resumed city driving there was no more smoke and the car was idling smoothly and the car was accelerating better. This sequence of events has occured seemingly randomly before.

I am going to my car repair shop soon and would like any guidance.
1. Why so much smoke and then it disappears?
2. Why the poor acceleration and rough idle?
3. Approximate cost of replacing the oil pan gasket?
4. Approximate cost of replacing 2 rear Oxygen sensors?
5, Is the replacement of the O2 sensor easier because of the oil pan gasket repair?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Dan

Old 12-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Default RE: Smoke from Beneath Car & Poor Idling

hah we have the same problem. I have an oil leak, but its not from the pan. It's gonna cost me 800 bills to fix. My 94 eldog also idles wack, but it idles high and just goes faster without me doing it. I read about some idle learn procedure you can do with these whips. but it needs to idle for awhile to fix it, and im afraid my engine will get too hot and **** up my paintjob. but right now the battery is dead also.