Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

SERVICE ENGINE SOON when I did a burnout

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Default SERVICE ENGINE SOON when I did a burnout

I've had my '95 ETC for a few months, and I really like it. I've done WOTs before on the highway and put high RPMs on the engine, and the "service engine soon" light doesn't come up, but occasionaly, once in a blue moon, if I've been coasting with the car mostly, driving at low RPM and say I put the pedal to the metal from 0 - 50 and the check engine light comes on. When I turn off my car, and turn it back on the light is off. The engine runs perfect, and has no headgasket trouble or anything, I had it pressure tested at 15 PSI just because I read posts about that and I've got paranoid. I took my Lac to my uncle and he didn't have the Diagnostic for that year so he pulled it up on the dash of the car and if I can recall, P096 came up, "Torque converter Overstress". He said if it doesn't come up again while I drive it should be fine. I've driven it like that a few times after, but after having the car well warmed up and driven heavy and it still rides good and the engine light doens't come up. I'm guessing that the "torque converter overstress" code came up because I let it go to high RPM to burnout from a stopped position and it went flying real fast. Can anyone tell me if this is anything serious ?