Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

El Dorado Outside rear view mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:47 AM
Default El Dorado Outside rear view mirrors

I couldn't find anything on this in my searches, so I hope this isn't a repeat.

I have a 97 El Dorado in the body shop (don't ask). The drivers side rear view mirror needs replacing, but they're apparently having trouble finding one.
The first one would go side-to-side but not up and down.
The second one had a different connector.
The third one has a yellow or amber tint.

I got to thinking on the last one. Even though my original mirror never showed an amber or yellow tint that I recall, are there electronics that automatically "turn the tint on" at night? I seem to remember picking up my broken mirror and seeing a tint there, that I'd never seen before.

Does that make any sense?

Old 04-22-2008, 02:04 AM
Default RE: El Dorado Outside rear view mirrors

On my 97 Eldo the drivers side mirror and the interior mirror ( which have flat glass ) both auto-darken at night when the headlights from a car behind you reflect into them so long as you have the switch on the interior mirror set to the M or CM position.The CM position ( if equipped) is for a compass display buit into the mirror. GM calls this an Electrochromic Day/Night Rearview mirror and it also controls this feature on the drivers side mirror. The concave mirror on the passengers side does not darken. And, yes , the drivers side mirror on my car does have a somewhat amber tint to the glass in the daytime. Hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Default RE: El Dorado Outside rear view mirrors

jerrymac,
Thanks for the quick reply. My drivers side rear view mirror appeared to be the opposite. During normal daylight hours, I never noticed any tint. But when the morror was unplugged and removed from the car, that's when the amber tint was visible. It almost seemed like there was a daylight bias voltage to the mirror that removed the tint, but during the night that voltage disappeared allowing the tint to become visible (to reduce headlight glare(?).

Thanks again for you help.