Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

2000 Eldorado ETC oil pressure alert

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Question 2000 Eldorado ETC oil pressure alert

Several times in the last few days I have received alerts "Oil Pressure Low---Stop Engine." I stop immediately of course. After a couple of minutes I can restart and have no problem. This has happened 3-4 times upon startup and a couple of times out on the highway. Very upsetting! I have plenty of oil; 83 % of oil life left. Is it my oil pump or just a glitch in the computer alert system? This car has a history of sending me crazy signals; the problem then was a low battery. Please advise.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 PM

i am having the same problem i had the oil pressure check at the dealer for 3 hours checked out great they changed my oil pressure sending unit it still does it .when it comes in i just disregard it

Old 08-31-2013, 05:46 PM
Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by larryk
i am having the same problem i had the oil pressure check at the dealer for 3 hours checked out great they changed my oil pressure sending unit it still does it .when it comes in i just disregard it
I feel better knowing this. Our little town has lost its Cadillac dealership so it's difficult to get repairs. Thanks for your reply.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:08 AM

I think there might be a glitch in your computer screen because it is highly unlikely that all the oil is getting depleted

Old 09-24-2014, 09:45 AM

2000 Cadillac deville, started giving the warning message oil pressure low , stop engine ,around a week ago. i put oil in it and message went away. Drove it the other day it started saying it again.. Went to pull over on side of rode , as i tried to turn off, power steering and brakes went out. Emmidiatly turned car off and tried to restart, onlt to here loud clanking/knocking noise. Did some emergeny **** down happen to keep me from blowing up my engine, or did I drive it too long causing engine to seize up and creating myself a lovely caddy boat anchor???

Old 09-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Smile Problem with oil pressure signal solved

My husband did not believe it was the battery because he had checked it numerous times, but he bought one anyway. That fixed the problem for less than a hundred dollars. I am happy again with my car. It runs beautifully with no unnerving signals.

Last edited by lil ole lady; 09-25-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: repetition of word
Old 05-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Default Oil Pressure Sending Unit

Was having this same issue. Changed the oil pressure sending unit and the problem went away.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:57 AM
Default Same Problem - 2002 ElDo

My battery appears to be strong - not old. Was the battery the only thing you replaced to fix your problem with the false Low Oil Pressure alert?

Old 07-13-2016, 12:42 PM
Tech Certified Members

Don't resurrect old threads, this one gets 1 post a year. Low oil pressure - does it have oil in engine and the correct oil filter? If so replace oil pressure switch and see if it corrects it. Other choice have oil pressure tested and if it with in specs then install new switch. If not you will need to find out why?

Old 07-14-2016, 07:57 AM
Default Thanks Slowroll.

1st time on this site. My oil and filter are good. I suspect the pressure switch because oil pumps don't work sometimes and not other times and I couldn't see any relation to a battery problem.
The confusing thing in my case is my dash lights and gauges started giving me problems shortly before the 'low oil pressure' readout but, they don't do it at the same time. Might be 2 problems and just a coincidence. Car runs fine and a/c and radio all work but, suddenly the speedometer, tach, fuel and temp gauges go to zero and dash display blinks out. Electrical problem I figure and maybe not related. Love the car though - last year of the ElDo! Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: 2000 Eldorado ETC oil pressure alert