Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

1971 Eldorado Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Default 1971 Eldorado Convertible

Hi,

I'm new here. I'm about to buy a 1971 eldorado convertible. Any tips? whatmight becommon problems with these cars?

Old 04-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1971 Eldorado Convertible

In addition to compression check, check all fluids, smell tranny fluid. Make sureall electronics work, windows seats and top. It would be worth having a mechanic putting it up on a lift to check frame, for rust, etc.

Do your due diligence like you would on any other car. Just curious. How much?

Here is some additional info regarding the history FYI.

1971-1978

The Eldorado had never been a small car, but the 1971 appeared porkier and more excessive in every way (the coupe actually weighed in only 20 pounds heavier than the '70 model). With its heavily sculptured sides, skirted rear fenders and 6-inch-longer wheelbase, the new Eldo looked somewhat ungainly. The drivetrain was practically a carryover, though a lowered compression ratio dropped the 500-cubic-incher's output from 400 to 365 horsepower. The other big change was the adoption of coil springs on the solid rear axle for a more controlled ride.

All those changes were substantial, but the big addition to the Eldorado line was the return of the convertible. All the other Cadillacs were redesigned for '71, as well, and the DeVille convertible was excised from the lineup leaving the Eldo as the only Cadillac convertible available. So the Eldo also had to fill the more moderately priced slot left open by the DeVille convertible's absence, and standard equipment aboard the Eldo dropped from Fleetwood to DeVille levels. The Eldorado coupe's $7,383 price was situated between the DeVille's and the Fleetwood's. While the convertible's $7,751 price was up over a '70 DeVille convertible's by almost $1,700, the Eldorado was clearly no longer the premium Cadillac it had been when it was introduced. In fact, despite nearly two decades of inflation, the '71 convertible's price was exactly one dollar more than that original 1953's sticker. Whatever its merits or demerits as a car, the '71 Eldorado sold a healthy 27,368 units (6,800 of which were convertibles).

Old 04-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Also check the seals for the top's hydraulics?
or were they linkage driven?

a little before my time.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:40 PM

I got it on eBay, am going to see it on coming Saturday. The auction ended at $8300. Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...72900&rd=1

I'm going to take it to a shop (probably pep boys) to put it on a lift and check underneath, compression, oil pressure, etc.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6112/B2FD3E81808B40BF8DDE3706DF40329C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-02-2008, 11:47 AM

The big issue on these Eldo's is floorboard rust, both in front and in the back seat area. The drivetrains are very tuff and should not be a problem.

From sitting the distributor mechanical advance can stick as well as the primary power piston in the Quadrajet. Make sure the oil in the crankcase had the ZDDP additive in it before you drive it much. I like using Shell Rotella T 15w-40.

Looks nice, keep in mind it would cost about $3500 to replace the leather in one of these. Blue tend to wear very well. White is a nightmear. Chrome work is another big expence.

The sissor top is pure mechanical, no hydraulics at all, but a little tricky at any rate. these is a power seat style motor and gearbox behind the rear seat that performs this function.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Certified Members

That looks like one sweet ride .. NICE !

Old 05-05-2008, 12:11 PM

Well, i met the guy and checked the car. It is a "20 footer", meaning it looks great from 20 feet, but has lots of problems if you look closely.
However, i decided to complete the deal and i got the car. Now i'm in a chase for parts.

First of all, the top needs replacement. The upper part is ok, but the rear glass window is broken. My question to you guys who own convertibles, should i go with the plastic (and not so nice) option, or the more expensive, more complex glass option?

The glass has broken when someone forgot to unzip it before taking the top down...

Old 01-19-2009, 03:20 PM

Hi - have had an eldorado for the last year and just starting torestore it as it seems to have had ahard previous life and a lot of things are missing from it- have got a big problem with the front seat at the moment - dont think it is the original and it is rusted out.I am looking for an original front seat. If you know where I can get one or any ideas of where I can start looking can you please let me know. Thanks

Geoff and Kate

Old 01-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: drorso

Well, i met the guy and checked the car. It is a "20 footer", meaning it looks great from 20 feet, but has lots of problems if you look closely.
However, i decided to complete the deal and i got the car. Now i'm in a chase for parts.

First of all, the top needs replacement. The upper part is ok, but the rear glass window is broken. My question to you guys who own convertibles, should i go with the plastic (and not so nice) option, or the more expensive, more complex glass option?

The glass has broken when someone forgot to unzip it before taking the top down...
having owned several convertibles, two of them (Stangs) with the crappy plastic rear windows and having upgraded to both to GLASS .. I can only advice for the GLASS OPTION.

my two Allantes also have GLASS ..

you want to see the difference? check out a $40,000 MB with a yellow plastic rear window .. they look ugly .. really ugly .. not even considering that one cant see out of those yellow plastics whereas GLASS is always great and transparent.

GO GLASS ! ! !

Old 01-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: GeoffKate

Hi - have had an eldorado for the last year and just starting torestore it as it seems to have had ahard previous life and a lot of things are missing from it- have got a big problem with the front seat at the moment - dont think it is the original and it is rusted out.I am looking for an original front seat. If you know where I can get one or any ideas of where I can start looking can you please let me know. Thanks

Geoff and Kate
take a look in our "Community Services" thread .. you will likely find what you need there.

Quick Reply: 1971 Eldorado Convertible