Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Where's my oil going??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Default Where's my oil going??

I just purchased a 2002 Deville back in July with 73k miles on it. It is using 2 quarts of oil every 2k miles. I have not seen any leaks or smoke. Anyone have a good answer or should I unload it quick?!!
Thanks in advance
Ken

Old 09-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Default RE: Where's my oil going??

oooops! I meant 2 quarts of oil every 1k miles!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default WOT & SQUID .. RE: Where's my oil going??

ORIGINAL: hudgman

oooops! I meant 2 quarts of oil every 1k miles!
go to our FAQ and read up on WOT, do it exactly as it is written.

if that doesnt work, read up on SQUID - not a joke.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: WOT & SQUID .. RE: Where's my oil going??

By the time my Deville gets to 35% oil life left it needs a top up just to tide it over to the change. I'll have to admit to being negligent on the WOT's this summer what with huge gasoline price increase I have been concentrating on fuel economy. We also have a new racing law whereby you can be charged with racing by exceeding the speed limit by 50 and they can even crush your car. My Devillehas hit 178on the on ramps with WOT so I am sure for 78 over I'd be in big trouble with the guys in the Black and White cars. I suppose I could place the gear selector in 2 and do theWOT treatment to keep speed down. WOT does work to reduce oil consumption.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: WOT & SQUID .. RE: Where'

Consistent driving the cars easy on the pedal for fuel efficiency will load the NorthStar piston rings with carbon, and it becomes even more important to do the WOT. Know that such practice can be political incorrect but the political incorrectness crowd surely wont foot the bill for repairs later.

There is controversy on whether the WOT should be applied to other non-NorthStar engines. I will just leave that decision to you, but I will say that all my cars get it done.

Before we get into mis-understating what GM / Cadillac WOT is, allow me to say that the WOT seen on other web sites is NOT recommended. What we recommend is posted in our FAQ which in no way promotes speeding or illegal activity.

The procedure was provided to this writer by a GM Engineer, Power Trains.
Please read the complete thread posted in our FAQ.

quoted :

"The exercise that I think works best for many things is to select manual 2nd gear on an isolated stretch of expressway. This takes the transmission shifting out of the question if you are worried about hurting it. Start at 55 MPH or so and go to WOT in 2nd gear and hold it until the RPM reaches near the normal shift point - i.e. 6500 for an L37 and 6000 for an LD8.

Hold the throttle wide open until the engine reaches, say, 6200 for an STS and then just let completely off the throttle. Leave the transmission in 2nd so that the engine brakes the car and creates some pretty heavy over-run conditions at high vacuum levels. Let it slow until it is about 55 or so and then go to WOT again and repeat.

This exercise really loads the rings, allows variable RPM operation at WOT for several seconds continuously, creates heavy over-run which tends to unload the rings and make them move and thus exercise them in the ring grooves and it will blow-out carbon and the exhaust - all without creating a spectical of yourself and attracting the attention of cops. You can do it on most any freeway and stay within the 70-75 MPH range allowable.
Once a week like this will keep the engine cleaned out and healthy and is DEFINITELY recommended for the Northstar in particular."

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_7154/tm.htm