Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Tried the Italian Tune up today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default Tried the Italian Tune up today...

So with all this talk of the WOT or Italian Tune Up I found myself having to make a run from Toronto to London and back today. That' a 500 km trip. Higway 401 is a multi lane highway that runs from basically Detroit to London to Toronto to Oshawa to Montreal. Apparently it is the most travelled stretch of highway in North America. It is the Auto Parts and New Car corridor to and from Detroit to the most populated part of Canada. In between convoys of transports, most carrying brand new Canadian built cars and trucks & auto parts there are a few wide open stretches that are perfectly suited to the WOT. Suffice to say I WOT'd it often and thoroughly enjoyed it. After all that winter driving in a big city I forgot just how brutaly fast the Deville is and just how sweet a properly tuned Northstar sounds at full song. I saw a high of 178 KPH on my digital read out before I had to get out of the throttle on one stretch. I flogged it down and back rarely dropping below 140 KPH and still show a fuel consumption of 11 L/100 km. 178KPH = 112 MPH - 140 KPH = 80 MPH - 11 L/ 100km = 22 MPG

Did I mention my wife was in the car with me? It was all her fault too, wanted to get home to the kids. Only heard One "you're going pretty fast honey" on the whole trip. Got passedon the way home, a young buck in a Brand New Black Denali blew past me on one stretch and when I looked down I was was doing 152. Wife said "look at that idiot go" - LOL! I guess Denali's need Italian Tune Ups too.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Tried the Italian Tune up today...

I knew I was gonna like the story. Better yet with the wife in the car,and that's all she had to say? You're a good man charlie brown.

Btw the Italian tune up is obviously named such because the first N*'s were put in Italian cars, I know that YOU knew that.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Well G.A.R.Y. , I have to admit that I learned something new from you today, while it makes perfect sense I did not know how the Italian Tune Up phrase was coined. Thanks for that tid bit pal.

As far as the wife being such a good sport, I think that a testament to a fine automobile. Smooth as glass, steady as a rock, quiet as Church, just like sitting in your living room sofa listening to your favourite CD ....all while flying low!

Old 03-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

This is a real laugh now, we had dinner with friends last night and my wife is bragging to them that she can't imagine why they sold their Cadillac Escalade and got a Honda Pilot (neither can I). She's telling them about the lovely trip we had and how safe and smooth the trip was, how awesome it is to be on the open road in a Cadillac on a beautiful day. I'm thinking WTF?? I should have gone for the speed limter!

Old 03-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

What a great co-pilot. Speed limiter on yours is about what, 135 mph?

Old 03-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Sales brochure says 180 KPH or 210 KPH depending on equipment ordered. I suspect it's the tires.Mine are XW4 P225/60R16 S rated so probably the lesser of the two. (115 MPH)

Old 04-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: G.A.R.Y.

I knew I was gonna like the story. Better yet with the wife in the car,and that's all she had to say? You're a good man charlie brown.

Btw the Italian tune up is obviously named such because the first N*'s were put in Italian cars, I know that YOU knew that.

https://www.cadillacforum.com/fb.asp?m=7154

Old 04-11-2007, 11:59 AM

Should this be done with an engine that has 100K miles on it? The article was good and from what it says it sounds like it should be part of normal maintenance.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Before you do it, please post the engine and year.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:43 PM

1996 Northstar 4.6L in a DeVille. Is there any engine identifier someplace?

Quick Reply: Tried the Italian Tune up today...