Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

TIMING ISSUES??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Default TIMING ISSUES??

i will try to be brief so hopefully i make my self clear.
im timing my deville 96 im doing the exact same thing that ALLDATA AND SHOPKEY5 says and no luck.
i am going to be talking like if you are infront ofthe engine where the harmonic balancer is.and im goin to refer to the right and leftas we normally do. even thou is theoposite ok enough.
i rotate the crankshaft until timingmark is at 12 matchingthe intermediate sproket and cylinder # 1 IS top D Center ok THEn.
i put the right side exaust 12 A CLOCK than intake 12 A CLOCK inner sproket . than
i go to the left side do the same thing put exaust at 12 a clok intake at 12 all set. i put back the tensioners. crank the engine and nothing ..
(ENGINE IS TOO HEAVY )i think im doing everyting right any suggestins. the engine sounds too too heavy and it doesnt start i get fuel i get spark, i have cheK all the crank sensors all together with cam position sensor all good. I NEed help.
can any one tellme wat im doin wrong????? ANY SUGGESTIONS??? thanks in advance

Old 01-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: TIMING ISSUES??

It would be good to know 'where the engine is right now' Here is my suggestion. With oil pump off engine, align dots on crank gear and dummy shaft. Release pimary chain tensioner. Set Timing gear dots at 12 o'clock, release tensioners. View everything, then with what ever you have to work with, turn engine over by hand for 2 complete crankshaft rev.s. If it's right crank and cam gear marks all will be at 12 o'clock at the same time. THE DUMMY SHAFT WILL NOT ALIGN WITHE CRANK GEAR! If its right install oil pump and covers.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:17 PM

WELL the engine is back in the car, so i can crank it at any time. OK so im going to reapeat what you just wrote and see if i understood.
put the CRANK at 12 align with intermediate. than put the CAMS at 12 two rotate the crank twice and see if the cams align. What about if not whats the next step????
I have another question when the piston is @ TDC are the valves totally closed or somehow open??? because if thats the case my valves are some how open when aligning them at 12 A CLOCK. THANKS

Old 01-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Certified Members

If they're off, repeat set up. If you do it 2 times and its not right post where the 4 cam gears are pointing.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:53 PM

ok well i did the same thing. i align everything all four cams and the crank. i rotated the crank 14 times than everything came back aling so i asssume is on time(SAME THING IF I ROTATE THE CRANK TWICE) THE engine only goes like wwwrrrrrrwww wwwrrrrrwwwwr it wont start at all. i took out the starter and went and cheked it at all the auto stores of the block and in 2 stores they told me that it didnt work than in another 4 the started pass WTF??/ well im runnin out of options here i have no code everything connected everything ok !! whats the next step??
JUNK IT LOL!!!!!!!