Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Timing chains ? when removing head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Default Timing chains ? when removing head gaskets

deville 96 ,110 000 Milesi have change water pump,therm, water temp sen, and still overeathing ok . im going to chek the heater core and other little stuff. once the pressure build up the car gets rid of the water through the tank and you all know uadd more and it does the same thing.but im sure is the head gaskets. i have read about them already. i think i can pull the job off my self, im an automotive student. my question is while attempting to remove the head gaskets will i have to mess with the timingof the car ??? once i remove the valve covers and remove the chain that moves the camshaft will the time get messed up ?????? i am not really sure about that,
i dont have accessto shop key or all data right nowso im not sure of that !!
i have drain the oil and there is no sign of antifreeze in the oil. but still keeps heatingup the car smokes in the mornings when its cold, but thats the normal smoke other than that i have no idea what it could be but the head gaskets. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED THANK YOU GUYS IN ADVANCED.!!!

Old 12-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Timing chains ? when removing head gaskets

To try to do this; you a factory service manual and there will be some special tools required. Being your in auto votech talk to your instructor. Due to the advanced design of the Northstar engine its repair could be a worthy class project. Most Votechs can not charge you labor, they do charge for parts and materials, and it may take a little long to get it back.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

I echo what slowroll said ... plus ... take pictures of everything as you go.

dont even open the hood without the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL ...

have you considered an engine swap?
for a 96, there are a lot of good engines out there and lots and lots of life left in them.
costing probably less than tooling up for a headgasket change.

in case you dont know, Votech are trade schools and are usually always looking for projects to teach with ...

http://www.votechdirect.com/

Old 01-01-2009, 06:56 PM

if the coolant keeps coming out of the resorvoir tank it might be that ur radiator is clogged up that will make the coolant come back up from the tank

Old 01-05-2009, 01:26 AM

hey guys well i started my journey like two days ago i have my engine out of the car and i have already taken off the valve covers. hopefully i get it done by late tomorrow. one more questions does any one know how much is the torque for the head bolts ????? depending on how i C the treads i might not time sert mi heads still pending dont know yet !!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Certified Members

You need to get a manual and a torque angle meter. There are very few torque specs. there are alot of torque to this then, turn an additional ___ degrees. Hopefully you have someone who has some experience to help you out, if not the learning curve can be unforgiving.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: slowroll

You need to get a manual and a torque angle meter. There are very few torque specs. there are alot of torque to this then, turn an additional ___ degrees. Hopefully you have someone who has some experience to help you out, if not the learning curve can be unforgiving.

not to mention .. EXPENSIVE!

now that you got the heads, you should be able to tell if the gaskets failed .. did they?
IF they did NOT, the problem elsewhere may still be waiting for you when the engine goes back in.

ORIGINAL: hanselss13

hey guys well i started my journey like two days ago i have my engine out of the car and i have already taken off the valve covers. hopefully i get it done by late tomorrow. one more questions does any one know how much is the torque for the head bolts ????? depending on how i C the treads i might not time sert mi heads still pending dont know yet !!!!
you are scaring me .. read what slowroll said, slowly and carefully.
Even IF you torque to the right number, you are likely to damage something unless you follow the Bible .. the FSM, to the letter.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 PM

any one knows the patern of the bolts and the torquethey need thanks in advance?
well i have them off, the gasket do look really bad " I think LOl" well hopefully this is the problem. i am going to clean the motor really good and see for any craks i did a close look and there is none till right now so maybe tomorrow i find nothing either lol. other than that i have millions of parts and bolts. Godswill tomorrow i have it back on fully assembled and ready to throw backin tha car again also im going to check and maybe replacethe heater core mine as well. I will keep you guys updated. i wish good luck to my self lol!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: hanselss13

any one knows the patern of the bolts and the torquethey need thanks in advance?
well i have them off, the gasket do look really bad " I think LOl" well hopefully this is the problem. i am going to clean the motor really good and see for any craks i did a close look and there is none till right now so maybe tomorrow i find nothing either lol. other than that i have millions of parts and bolts. Godswill tomorrow i have it back on fully assembled and ready to throw backin tha car again also im going to check and maybe replacethe heater core mine as well. I will keep you guys updated. i wish good luck to my self lol!!!
IF the gasket was compromised, the spot where the exhaust gases blew by should be extremely obvious.

Both on the gasket and the aluminum surface. pictures?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:34 PM

if its a 3.0
Tighet the cylinder head bolts in stages, tightening sequence on the first pass to 18 ft.lbs. (25 Nm)
2nd pass to 90 degrees using a Torque/Angle Meter
3rd pass to 90 degrees using a Torque/Angle Meter
4th pass to 90 degrees using a Torque/Angle Meter
Final pass to 90 degrees using a Torque/Angle Meter
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ero13/CADI.gif

if its a 4.5 or 4.9
apply a suitable lubricant to the cylinder head bolt threads.
install cylinder head bolts finger-tighten
Tighten bolts in sequence to 38 ft.lbs. (50 Nm)
Tightehn cylinder head bolts in sequence to 68 ft.lbs. (90 Nm)
Tighten No. 1, 3, and 4 cylinder head bolts to 90 ft.lbs. (120 Nm)
left and right side is the same thing.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...nero13/CAD.jpg

if its a 4.6 northstar
Install the cylinder head and the 10 M11 and 3 M6 head bolts. lube the washer and the underside of the bolt head with engine oil prior to installation.
Tighten the 10 M11 bolts in sequence to 22 ft.lbs. (30 Nm), plus 90 degress, plus an additional 90 degrees to a total of 180 degrees.
Tighten the 3 M6 head bolts to 10 ft.lbs. (12 Nm)
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...anero13/ca.jpg

i hope that helps

Quick Reply: Timing chains ? when removing head gaskets