Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

New Owner - Old Caddy. Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New Owner - Old Caddy. Questions

You sure can't beat the price. It looks pretty decent and the cosmetic items on the exterior are all easy to fix, wheel centres are a salvage yard pick up. It looks like it has fairly new non OEM spark plug wires, I paid $240 for a set of Delco less than a year ago. I like the car from the photos. I would just say change the coolant as soon as you can as a preventive measure. With your car savvy you will have this looking like a new car very soon. I think a red bow will look great on the white too.

Of course I'm partial to Devilles as you will see from below, my daily driver. My 18 year old was driving us on Friday night and he said "man this car p'owns" That is apparently the highest compliment an 18 year old can make. If it can impress an 18 year old I feel safe in saying it will impress anyone.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 PM

Yeah, barring any visible leaks or evidence of leaks once on the lift I am going to get it to a shop for top to bottom exam/maintenance.

Brakes
Tires (rotate, maybe replace a set)
Coolant change with pellets as called for
Oil change
Tranny fluid check, change if needed
Filters and blades as needed
Lube what ever
check CV, suspension, exhaust and fix anything that might fail soon or needs it for what ever reason

Still debating going to dealer after all that. I need to get a guide on how to get the interior door cover and materals off and lube the power window mechanism... not sure I want to pay the dealer for that if I can do it. I do want them to check the blower motor, but 10 bucks to 1 they want to replace it and of course it will be $$$. checking the codes would be good though. And having it checked for the two recalls would be good.

Are there any 'free' tsb orders out there that are important. I know ford did a bunch of tsb work on my old explorer xlt sport even though it was out of warranty when it was in for the recall work on the valve cover and the tires... same with my GP when I had it in for a sunroof fix. I have the list of TSBs (all 33) as well as the two recalls.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: gnnr

Still debating going to dealer after all that. I need to get a guide on how to get the interior door cover and materals off and lube the power window mechanism... not sure I want to pay the dealer for that if I can do it. I do want them to check the blower motor, but 10 bucks to 1 they want to replace it and of course it will be $$$. checking the codes would be good though. And having it checked for the two recalls would be good.
Mine is a few years newer and I have side airbags so not sure if the 96 would. You'd have to be careful when taking off door panels. You know that little red hose that comes with the WD-40, might be ideal for aiming down the window track and at blower motor bearings. Might do the trick and save a lot of hassle with reapir shop...$4.00 fix if it works.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:56 PM

yeah, def won't mess with it if there are airbags. 96 is prob too old for that, but who knows with a highline vehicle. My new car I got in May is the first I have had with that and knee bags, but it only costs half what a Deville does (even less).

Old 10-17-2007, 06:07 PM

So I decided not to get this one. For the miles and age the body and interior are particularly good, but when I got it lifted up and got underneath whoa nelly what a disaster. Leaking oil like mad, not the pan. Looking down it's pretty clean for what you can see considerying how cramped it is, but something bad was going on, so game over.