Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

need help about suspension on 02 deville

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Unhappy need help about suspension on 02 deville

hi i just purchased 02 deville and every bump i hit it the rear bounces up and down, now i dont know if it has air ride or what. can someone please tell me what could be causing this and what i should replace? when its sitting still it looks pretty level, its not drooping in the rear so i dont know, this ismy first cadillac so im kinda clueless about it. thank you any info is greatly appreciated!! also if its the air ride i would like to purchase a non-air conversion kit. so i need to know everything i need to fix the problem...thanks!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Default Had similiar experience on 2000 deville rear shocks

It rode like a log wagon and dealer could not find problem without running expensive scan. Found problem myself by heating up shocks with heat gun. Problem was due to extreme cold temptures causing the moisture that in shocks frooze until the evening tempertures thawed out shocks. Air dryer was not working taking out moisture allowing condensate build up. Removed shocks and compressed pushing water out but damage caused resulted replacing them with a set of used ones found on line salvage.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:18 PM

Correct. The bouncy shocks mean they are bad. Here is how you test: Push down on the bumper and release. If it goes up and stops, the shocks are fine. If it goes up-down-up, they need to be replaced. Even if it wiggles (small up-down-up), they're still bad. You can buy new OEM ones, or get higher quality aftermarket (like MONROE) ones, either ones will work. I would NOT suggest junkyard ones. Once they are installed, have a mechanic do a wheel alignment, and the ride will be better!

TS