Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

leaking eng coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Default leaking eng coolant

I drive a 1997 deville conquors and it is currently leaking eng coolant. The leak seems to be around the front pass tire however I can't pinpoint exactly where it is. Any suggestions on what it could be. Thanks for all the info.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Default RE: leaking eng coolant

if its a leak round the pass side, your looking at either a blown collant line that feeds the heater core, and routes to the collant tank (not too common) or the coolant tank itself. (common) the tank comes with a built in sensor (coolant level) which warns you of a low coolant level, and cost about 100 bucks at the dealer. it's also smart to change the small 3/8's hose which feeds the throttle body, which comes off the top of the tank, and the cap. For extra security i would go ahead and change the two heater hoses that feed off the tank as well (5/8's hose) lower bottom left hand side. but check that area first to make sure thats the problem

Old 04-06-2005, 05:01 PM

I am having a problem with high gas consumption.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:06 PM

I seem to have the same problem. It only seems to leak after the car has been shut off, and intermitantly. Its hard to tell but mine seems to be in the center of the car. Any ideas?

Old 10-01-2005, 10:04 PM

I smell hot antifreeze from my car a lot, but never seem to lose any fluid or have any puddles. Any ideas on this?

Old 12-12-2005, 07:34 PM

try to check your heater core. it might be leaking. Check the passenger side floor.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:58 AM

I took my car 99 Deville Concours into the shop yesterday for it leaking coolant from the middle of the car. They told me that it was the radiator fill tank...and it would be $500 to change it out because (get this) they have to evacuate the a/c system because there is an evaporator (I think that's what it is) attached to the fill tank.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:59 AM

My coolant leak and odor also came from the passenger side. It was a leaking coolant tank, $100 to replace. The intake for the HVAC system is right there, so it will suck any odors from this problem right into the car. After replacement, the odor diminished and is almost gone. Flushing the area with a garden hose when the engine is cool helps. There is probably some residual goo baked on to hot parts that will keep smelling after the initial leak is fixed. I also replaced the little coolant hose for the throttle body, which was slightly leaking antifreeze as well.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:14 PM
amg

i got a coolant leak too. I drive a 1996 Deville. i've seen it drip a little while pouring antifreeze in to the coolant tank and someone said they seen it dripping while i was pulling up to get on base. so how do I get to the bottom of the tank itself. i've looked under the car, but didnt have enough time to get a good look. HELP!!!

Old 05-02-2006, 03:52 AM

I had my tank replaced in a shop, so I don't know how to get to it. You can't really fix it anyway, so either pay somebody to do the whole job, or buy a new tank and R & R it yourself. Check the hoses that run to and from the tank all the way to wherever they end. If you have one going across the engine to the throttle body, check it for leaks. Mine was leaking slightly. If you don't replace the tank, you will lose coolant, have bad odors, and maybe risk running hot or dry. It's a minor repair. Be thankful.

Quick Reply: leaking eng coolant