Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

How difficult to change spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Default How difficult to change spark plugs

I have a 1996 DeVille and need to change plugs and wires. I have a Haynes manual and it has a statement that says "the spark plugs on these models are, for the most part, difficult to reach, so a spark plug socket and and extension will be necessary". Seems like all cars that I have changed plugs on are this way, especially a Lumina van I once owned. Anyway it looks like I need to remove the ignition coil assembly in order to get to the plugs at the firewall side of the engine. This does not appear to be too much of a problem. What advice can anyone give me on changing these plugs? BTW, it has the 4.6 L Northstar engine.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Default RE: How difficult to change spark plugs

The Haynes manual SUCKS as far as cadillacs go. I would suggest going and spending the money on a Helm Factory Service Manual.

My advise for changing the spark plug is to go out and get a universal joint for your ratchet beforehand.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:57 AM

I've done worse! Get u-joint and it's not to bad, just remove what's in the way. Den

Old 12-03-2006, 07:20 PM

Just to update and give another person some insight into changing spark plugs and wires on a 1996 DeVille, this was a relatively easy task. I removed the cross-bar that goes across the engine compartment which was 4 bolts that were very easy to get to. These bolts required 1/2" socket to remove. I removed the coil assembly unit which was not bad to take off. The coil assembly has 4 bolts to take out. Two bolts on the side of the assembly towards the front of the engine, and two on the back of the assembly. To get to the two in the back, I had to disconnect a couple of the plug wires from the coils in order to get my hands and socket in there to unscrew the bolts. These bolts took a 10mm socket. Also, do not forget to disconnect the negative battery cable or you could create some electrical havic with your car.

Once I had the coil assembly and cross-bar removed, it took no time to remove the plugs and put new in. Just be patient. While I was changing the plugs, I also replaced the PCV valve, which is right where you are working on the coil assembly. So you might as well replace that and be done with it.

Also, since I had some spare time, I also replaced the fuel filter. The filter is located right in front of the driver's rear tire. It is very easy to get to and it uses those quick-disconnect connectors. To do this you will want to depressurize your fuel system which again is very easy. Since you have the manifold cover off to replace your spark plugs you can get to the pressure valve on the fuel rail. Open up your gas cap and then stuff some rags around the fuel pressure valve (it is a schrader valve, like what it on your car tire) and depress the valve to release pressure and some small amount of gas. Be careful since you are messing with gas, you don't want to create a fire. Once the fuel system is depressurized, just disconnect the fuel filter and place the new one in service.

The spark plugs I used were the AC Delco platinum. I think they are 49-950 is the part number but I don't remember. They are good for 100K miles. The whole job took about 2.5 hours. Very nice for a Sunday afternoon.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:41 AM

Wouldn't it be better to just send it in? I always hear my neighbors cussing everytime they are trying to fix their car and their hands get all cut up and car ends up not getting fixed or they create new problems. No way would I get my hands stuck in there.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:58 AM

In order to relive the fule pressure, can you just pull the fule pump relay while engine running and waitit die?

ORIGINAL: strabo40

Just to update and give another person some insight into changing spark plugs and wires on a 1996 DeVille, this was a relatively easy task. I removed the cross-bar that goes across the engine compartment which was 4 bolts that were very easy to get to. These bolts required 1/2" socket to remove. I removed the coil assembly unit which was not bad to take off. The coil assembly has 4 bolts to take out. Two bolts on the side of the assembly towards the front of the engine, and two on the back of the assembly. To get to the two in the back, I had to disconnect a couple of the plug wires from the coils in order to get my hands and socket in there to unscrew the bolts. These bolts took a 10mm socket. Also, do not forget to disconnect the negative battery cable or you could create some electrical havic with your car.

Once I had the coil assembly and cross-bar removed, it took no time to remove the plugs and put new in. Just be patient. While I was changing the plugs, I also replaced the PCV valve, which is right where you are working on the coil assembly. So you might as well replace that and be done with it.

Also, since I had some spare time, I also replaced the fuel filter. The filter is located right in front of the driver's rear tire. It is very easy to get to and it uses those quick-disconnect connectors. To do this you will want to depressurize your fuel system which again is very easy. Since you have the manifold cover off to replace your spark plugs you can get to the pressure valve on the fuel rail. Open up your gas cap and then stuff some rags around the fuel pressure valve (it is a schrader valve, like what it on your car tire) and depress the valve to release pressure and some small amount of gas. Be careful since you are messing with gas, you don't want to create a fire. Once the fuel system is depressurized, just disconnect the fuel filter and place the new one in service.

The spark plugs I used were the AC Delco platinum. I think they are 49-950 is the part number but I don't remember. They are good for 100K miles. The whole job took about 2.5 hours. Very nice for a Sunday afternoon.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:08 AM

Huh???