Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

hope i didn't get a money pit

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Default hope i didn't get a money pit

I am feeling a shudder in the steering wheel whenever I am going around a corner, but only if the brakes aren't applied. I just had the sway bar end links replaced and thought this would fix it, but not so.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Default RE: hope i didn't get a money pit

Is there a pulse when braking in a straight line?

Brake rotors warped maybe?

Also check your tie rod ends.

both my 2001 needed them at 70k

Old 01-04-2007, 02:19 PM

The rotors aren't warped, I was hoping it wouldn
't be tie rod ends, how much did youy pay to replace yours?

Old 01-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Tech Certified Members

Hey misfit: Jack up the side in question just enough to take the weight off the tire. With one hand on the top of tire and one hand on the bottom, see if the wheel has any play in and out. It could be wheel bearings a bit loose or the kingpins.Good luck on the money pit...........................

Old 01-05-2007, 01:48 PM

Checked both front wheels and neither of them have any play. It does look like most of the rubber bushings in the front endare dried and cracked, is this whats causing the shuddering? I really like this car and want to have it for awhile.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Tech Certified Members

Don't think it would be bushing seals but definately a steering part.Would be a good idea to get under the front end and reef on the some of the tie rod ends, the idler arm, shock damper,etc to see if any are loose. Do your tires appear to be wearing evenly??Not worn on one side or the other.Look on the frame and steering parts to see if the tires have worn a shiny spot on them. Tires may possible be rubbing somewhere. Hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:14 PM

My service ride control messege has been coming up somewhat frequently, any connection between the two? I thought that that messege was fora sensor or something electrical, not an actual worn part. My newness to Devilles is showing

Old 01-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Tech Certified Members

Hey Misfit: Try pullingyour trouble codes from the ECM and see what all it's picking up!~ With the ignition on and the engine off, push the warmer and off buttons of the climate control at the same time until the 88 or 188 appears on the screen. Let go of the buttons and write down all the codes that come up after that. It will start at the smaller numbers and work up, then repeat the numbers. I have the code book so can tell you what is up.Talk at ya.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:07 PM

I had to remove the wheel andhold the joint between the tie rod and spindle to feel the play.

I have seen the parts anywhere between $22 a SET on ebay,,, and $45 a piece from Napa/Carquest,,,,, an AutoZone is $30 a piece

Mark the position and count your turns if your not taking it for an alignment after.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:20 PM

I am getting a PC1520 code and a history of RS0061, What is the name of the part you are refering to obnoxus?

Quick Reply: hope i didn't get a money pit