Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Heater acting up.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default Heater acting up.

Hey guys awhile back i had posted about my heater not working. well now its only working every now and then. Heres what happens when the heater is on it will blow hot air while driving then sometimes when at idle itwill go from hot to cold unless i give my car a lil gas it will blow warm and then go to cold again and sometimes whent giving it gas you can hear the coolant gurgling for a short minute and then the gurgling goes away. Also while having this problem my coolant temp light will come on for a brief moment and go off. I have taken a guess that it may be a weak waterpump but not for sure. any feedback is greatly apreciated.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Heater acting up.

No big deal here 92_Daddylac, your coolant level is low, that's all. Top up the radiator with a fresh coolant mix and you will be warm again. Keep an eye on the coolant level though as you may have a leak somewhere. It is not that uncommon to get low on coolant over extended time. I suggest that you get a routine going where maybe once a month when you gas up you go over all fluid levels. This way you will be on top of any potential problems.

PS. I saw your photo of the crushed front grille, any chance you punctured your radiator when you punched that snow bank?

Old 03-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Tech Certified Members

JUST F^@$INGwonderful i put coolant in and it was full. i usually drive in town doing alot of short trips. well i was going to a funeral in another town which is a 15min drive on the highway. and it has been almost 8months since my cady has driven more that 3mi at a time. anyways while i was driving igot a COOLANT TEMP light and the car was still running ok when i decided to kick the heater on thats when somthing happend. WHITE SMOKE COME PURING OUT FROM UNDER THE HOOD on the driver side only and i stoped ASAP and looked uder the hood and found all hoses were ok the over flow tank wasfullbut coolant was every where, mostly near the front by the airfilter box and twards the bottom of the engine in that area would any body have an idea of what may have happened. i love this car dearly. thanx for the help.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Well I have a Northstar and you have a 4.9? The water pump is on the drivers side of the motor on a Northstar not sure about your's. That sucks, usually putting on the heater helps and topping up the coolant too. Thermostat is over there near the water pump too. I don't think you have a serious problem but it is aggrevating when these things happen and strand you. Was the heater working better with full coolant? I ask because maybe the thermostat may not be opening. That's a $10 part.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Tech Certified Members

well i did have a leak so yea it help with the heater but i just went out to get my car towed home i looked at it and and i figured i should put water in the radiator and start it up and see if it starts to leak. but as i filled the rdiator it strated leaking on the driver side. so it was a bad radiator. not sure of costs but also i got my stereo jacked out of it when i got my car back i noticed my glove box doorwas riped off and thats where my dvd screen was attatched to and also they took my cd player. so all in all not a very good day andto go to a funeral.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

That really sucks now. The radiator is not that expensive to repair,say $400 but the other stuff that just will pi$$ you off. Sorry to hear about that.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:44 AM

I replace my radiator a few months ago and if I remember it was about $160.00 for the radiator and only took me and hour or so to change it.
Also changed all the hoses while I was at it.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

If you do the job yourself you can always save the labour and taxes. It's pretty cold outside, unless you have a heated garage, to be doing a DIY repair. A radiator change is also messy, I'd take it to my shop.Crpsscomp's idea about changing the hoses is also a good one, they should be done when the new rad goes in.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Tech Certified Members

when i got the car it had new hoses and woulndt you believe a new radiator.lol I pulled it out my self and yes it was pretty messy, but the radiator was manufactured in 2005. cuz i looked at it and thought it was in pefect condition and so i looked and found it was cracked on the side plastic piece where the oil lines run intothat is attatched to the alluminum radiator. so im going to my local radiator shop in town and see if he can fix it. my friend told me to try and jb weld it since its not a big crack. but im unsure of this idea and dont think it would do good under high temps.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Tech Certified Members

This is what my inside of my car looks like when somebody broke into it. and took my dvd screen and my cd player.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2372/144E47CBD5FF4B4A83ACC389F131BD28.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Heater acting up.