Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Chiming

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Default Chiming

I have a 1986 Cadillac DeVille 4.1L V8. For some reason today I was driving a relitive distance (25 miles) and about every mile or two my car would make "the seat belt not on" chime. None of the lights never came on, the car did not act any different than normal, and after I stoped the car I used the onboard diagnostics with the Climate Control thing and no error codes were displayed besides (F13), but that is a in car temp sensor circuit which I have no business nor drive to replace or get checked out at this time. So what could cause this CHIME to go off like that and when I got back in town where it was stop and go traffic, it did not do it anymore. (Just so you know I was wearing my seatbelt)

Old 04-21-2010, 07:28 PM

And it would only make one chime this time and two the next then one then two so it was never realy consistant

Old 04-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Tech Certified Members

Chime modules will do that as they are failing. If no warning lights are coming on it maybe chime itself. Try to notice when it happens...turning, moderate+ type braking, or accel; it can be caused by slightly low brake fluid level. Sensor trips warning, as soon as fluid unsloshes itself warning stops.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:05 PM

Ok, well it really has no real consistanty to it. The only thing that I can say for sure is that my power stearing fluid was a little low but i filled it to the brim and nothing changed. It does seem to do it like ten times more often when I first start my car. (first ten min/7-8 miles)

I did think that it was when I was turning while accellerating but it does not matter I was going strait down hill and it chimed like 4 times so I dont think there is much consistanty at all.

I guess I'm just not wanting it to be something too major you know.

And if it was just the chiming module would it be a easy replace as i have never even looked at one of these because they dont go out that often you know?

Last edited by JefferyD90; 04-24-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Certified Members

Back in the early 80's they failed alot.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:10 PM

OK well this morning, while going to work, it started chiming SEVERAL times (10-20). And because it did it so quick it show me that if the "alarm" that is making the thing chime like that would stay on long enough that my "STOP ENGINE TEMP" light will come on. Now I have also noticed that it will ONLY do it when you get on the accelerator. Typically, if you turn while on the accelerator it will do it more often. I dont know what is going on and still even after the "STOP ENGINE TEMP" light came on there is still not one single trouble code that has been sent??

I have just put a appoitment in the shop for it on Wensday.

Well see what happens from here.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Certified Members

Engine temp light with no codes; low coolant or thermostat sticking most of the time. There is not an over temp code, that came later, there is a F code for cooling fans.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:25 PM

you know what something else was tellin me the thermostat was going bad I think I will have it repaced just to be on the safe side