Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Check Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Default Check Oil Level

Light is on the dash but when i check the level with the dipstick, oil level is in operating range
wondering if it maybe a sensor? If so can i replace it my self or do i need to take it to a shop?
if i can change it my self can someone tell me where sensor is located?...i changed crankshaft sensor with the help of some of you guys.....i have a 2000 deville....Also as soon as i start the engine it idles funny for the first 30 seconds or so then it idles normal. Any suggestions on why this is happening. Motor has aprox 125000 miles on it
thanks guys

Old 12-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Check Oil Level

sensor is mounted in lower oil pan.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:42 PM

I just purchased a 94 sedan deville, and I love it. However, I have a problem with oil leaking . The leak is coming from a line that runs from the radiator. Sometimes there is a lot, but most of the time there is little. While driving today, the stop engine, low oil pressure lite came on. I stopped the car, added more oil. What could be causing the leak?

Old 12-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: lorrainne

I just purchased a 94 sedan deville, and I love it. However, I have a problem with oil leaking . The leak is coming from a line that runs from the radiator. Sometimes there is a lot, but most of the time there is little. While driving today, the stop engine, low oil pressure lite came on. I stopped the car, added more oil. What could be causing the leak?
most likely, the fittings are either lose or have failed.

but sounds weird. you have a oil cooler?
i can see a trani cooler, but by your description i see engine oil? or am i assuming too much.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Tech Certified Members

Unfortunately, 4.9s are know for leaks. Normally leaks don't come and go. You may need to clean engine and add dye. to find out whats leaking. Oil cooler hoses if leaking, you can lose a lot of oil quickly.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:12 PM

do you guys know if i have to drop the pan or can i change it without dropping the pan

Old 12-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Certified Members

Sensor screws in side of pan, drain oil before removing. Oil pan is not removed to replace sensor.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:41 PM

thank you very much....i'll let you guys know how it went when i do my next oil change

Old 01-29-2008, 11:35 AM

If I have a94 Concours with the same problem would the sensor be in the same spot on the side of the oil pan to unscrew?

Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Certified Members

Oil level sensor on northstars screws into lower pan.

Quick Reply: Check Oil Level