Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

cadillac deville 1981 won't start - fuel pump not running

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Default cadillac deville 1981 won't start - fuel pump not running

hi

I've a problem!
I checked the ISC and TPS and wanted to regulate the idle gas.
and from one day to the other i don't hear the fuel pump if i turn ignition on and start.

the engine won't start, i don't hear the fuel pump so i think the engine gets no fuel and can't start

the diagnostic mode of the ECM doesn't work until same day! "off" and "warmer" goes until ". ." appears but "88" doesn't appear

any ideas what to check or what to do??

thanks
Adrian12

Old 09-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: cadillac deville 1981 won't start - fuel pump not running

Adrian: Did you take off the fuel line at the throttle body and see if the pump is delivering any fuel up the line?Then have you checked the fuse for the fuel pump??? Do you have spark at the plugs?? Did the engine stop all of a sudden or was the problem over a period of time?Fuel filter plugged??

Old 09-06-2006, 03:28 PM

fuel filter is new
the car ran all the time more or less good (i'm working on it) but from one day to the other the fuel pump don't work
i checked the fuse yes, all fuses are ok!

normally i heard the fuel pump working on turning ignition on, but now idk why it doesn't
where is the cable under the hood for the pump or how does it work?

how can i test if the pump is ok? how can i give electrical energy directly on the pump without taking the pump out?

are there any sensors/switches or so that control the pump??

thanks

Old 09-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Tech Certified Members

Adrian: Your system is like mine I'm quite sure. You have the in tank fuel pump. The pressure regulator at the TB will send the excess fuel back to the tank therefore there is no need for sensors, etc. You would be best to syphon the gas from the tank and then take it out to get at the pump. Put the tank on a jack with wood blocks on it and then you can lower it slowly and get at the electrical lines before dropping the tank all the way down. When you are taking the cam lock off to get at the pump be sure to use a copper pipe or something non-steel and a wood mallet to tap the lock counter-clockwise. This will prevent sparks and be gentle on the ring. Before starting just disconnect the neg. battery terminal. If you want you could test the pump with a twelve volt source at the rear of the car before total removal. Good luck/

Old 09-07-2006, 12:41 PM

okay forget the fuel pump!

i didn't check it, because taking off the tank is a big work because I've a bad installed trailer coupling!

i think the ECM is the reason because the "level ride" light on the instrument panel isn't flashing on turning ignition on, the ECM doesn't want to start diagsnostic mode!

how can i check the ECM? where are fuses, or something else?

please help

Old 09-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Tech Certified Members

Adrian: If you are going to do the work yourself you do not check the ECM> Just get a recondtioned ECM from your parts dealer. I did this and it only cost me about 168.00 This way you have a like new ECM and then you know for sure that is not the problem. It really made my car run a lot better. Sorry to hear you are having so much problem.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:24 AM
Tech Certified Members

Adrian: Forgot to mention to you that when my car was having the battery run dead all the time I discovered that the trunk lite was staying on all the time. Take out the bulb in the trunk and see if this helps.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:36 AM

thanks for the ideas!

in my care aren't any lights lightening, i took off the one in the hood and the one in the trunk from beginning!

to the new ECM! i live in austria, thats a big problem gettin such parts for normal money!
i don't know what i should do! my motivation is down :P and i don't have much money to make big jump and buy new things only for trying!

Old 09-15-2006, 04:53 PM

i've news

the fuel pump itself works, the problem must be at the relais or the ECM

the fuses are ok, the relais for the fuel pump gets energy (12V) but the cables for opening and closing the relais gets no electrical energy

what could be the mistake?

Old 10-20-2006, 02:17 PM

now i've checked if the ECM gets energy all energy-supply cables are ok, the pink-black and the orange ones

the ".." problem on entering the diagnostic mode still expists and the fuel pump doesn't work

getting a new ECM in austria is too expensive only to try if the old one is the reason!

so everybody who has ideas please help me, or maybe give me connections to somebody who knows something about....

thx

Quick Reply: cadillac deville 1981 won't start - fuel pump not running