Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

A/C PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Default A/C PROBLEM

I have installed a new compressor, dryer, filter, orifice tube, and have a fully charged system. Diconnected neg battery cable to clear codes and reset switches. The system pumps cold air for about 10 minutes (AUTO mode), then swithces over to ECON mode and stops the cold air (service a/c light comes on). For a second time, I disconnected the neg cable. It ran fine for the same period of time, and then repeats the cycle from AUTO to ECON (service a/c light comes). Could the problem be a faulty pressure switch on the dryer? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks very much.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Default RE: A/C PROBLEM

next time the code is set try read the codes via the auto warm buttens if you have a digital dash.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:36 PM

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I do have a digital dash. I am not familiar with reading the codes. Is this something that should be done before I disconnect the battery and try the a/c again. This is the first time I have had a problem of this nature with it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:15 PM

Just an update....been living with the problem going on 2 weeks. Air runs ice cold--when it runs. System is fully charged and has new components. Sometimes runs for several days, no problems. Then "service a/c" light comes in the service center on the dash. Air automatically switches into "Econ mode" meaning no cold air. I disconnect the negative battery cable, and reconnect--resetting the system. Cold air returns, very nice, and runs for severals before going through the routine again. I'm nervous about taking this to a "shop". Half the time they do not know what they are doing -- it is usually trial and error, which I can do at a fraction of the cost. If anyone has had an experience like this, I would really appreciate some guidance. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

There are many things it could be. You need to do some checking first.
Without knowing what code is set i can't tell you which direction to go. How about guage readings? Outlet temps?
Is it a restriction in the system, cooling fan not working right, bad sensor, which one, bad control head and on and on and on.

If you want to fix it yourself a factory service manual is where you need to start.
This will usually at least get you going in the right direction.

A caddy dealer should at least tell you whats wrong for an hour diag charge.
I've had older cars come in that had thousands of dollars spent on them only to find a loose wire or $30 failed part.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:15 PM

Thanks kindly for your reply and help. I am shopping now for a service manual. I have had several mention that the codes can be displayed on my digital dash. I am not familiar with this, in order to know how to process it. Can you give me some guidance. Many thanks for your assistance.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

It depends on what year your car is.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:44 PM

1992 Cadillac Deville, front wheel drive,.....thanks.

Old 07-29-2006, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

A/C control panel. Hold Off and Warmer at the same time.
IIRC '92 still used E and F codes, but i could be wrong. E was engine and F was body,A/C ect. F42 was very low refrigernt, the most common of A/C codes.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:50 PM

I've been able to retrieve the following codes: E52, E91, F47. Any ideas from these codes would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: A/C PROBLEM