Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

A/C Pressures

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Default A/C Pressures

Hey Group

I have a 2002 Deville that is not cooling properly. I am in the HVAC business and completely understand the principles of refrigeration, however I don't specialize in automotive air conditioning.

I noticed the duct temp is not coming down like it used to. Even on recirculate mode. I threw the gauges on the system and with condenser fan running I noticed a 65 psig suction at idle and maybe 50 psig at best at fast idle say 1500 rpm. The inside of the car was say maybe 82 degrees if that. Outside temp was 92.

I'm pretty surethe compressor is shot. I was hoping (WISHFULL THINKING) that possibly the desicant bag in the ac***ulator could be clogged....

Has anybody had any experience with such an thing????

I'm open and thankful for any suggestions

Old 06-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: A/C Pressures

You failed to mention what the discharge pressure was along with the static pressure.
Those 2 clues would leave little doubt.

Regardless, any time i have observed one with a broken desiccant bag in the ac***ulator the suction side showed very low because either the o-tube or expansion valve was plugged with the remnants.

My guess would be a faulty compressor.A low discharge pressure with near ambient static pressure would back up that guess.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Default RE: A/C Pressures

Thanks for the quick reply

I didn't measure the discharge pressure... However I currently have a static pressure of 90 psig at 87 degrees F. Engine is cool andCaddy has been parked in garage since last night.

I agree with You on the ac***ulator and o-tube... there doesn't seem to be any restriction... I will have to check the discharge pressure.

I'm thinking possibly I have a fractionated charge. I just might evacuate the system and weigh in 2.2 lbs. of 134A. If that don't do it maybe a weak clutch?