Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

92 Deville Ignition time adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Question 92 Deville Ignition time adjustment?

hi, i have a 92 Deville with ~168,000 miles on it. i did some work to it which required me to take the distributor off. When i reinstalled it, the rotor was not aligned properly. Now i need to make sure the that the timing is correct. I found the timing scale that was near the crankshaft pulley and the notch that is on the pulley itself. My question is what is the distribution on the timing scale itself, i.e. how many degrees between each tooth on the scale? That way i can make sure the that the notch on the crankshaft pulley is aligned properly.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:57 AM

You should have made a few markes directing you were to put it back in so you could of had it close. If you caddy is anything like my 95 deville you have a electronic service port under your dash on the drivers side, you need to get a paper clip and bend it and jump the 2 top pins on the top right this will put you in timing mode and it will say that on you dash. If you have the 4.9 you need to get the timing about 10 degrese witch if I remember correctly is 1 tooth to the right. If you you dont put the car in timing mode you will never get the timing right, Good Luck.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Certified Members

what the previous post says, does apply.
however, before you do that, you need to check and correct for physical timing. What I understand you are saying may be wrong. I do not believe that you can "time" the engine by aligning notches. The notches are meant to 1st align the #1 piston to TDC at assembly, then used with a strobe for dynamic advanced timing.

physically the notch needs to be aligned to the " 0 " mark .. at that precise spot, the #1 piston is at the TOP, TDC, then your distributor needs be installed to aim at cylinder #1.

If needed, you must pull distributor out and realign .. only after that is done, can you do timing on the engine.

on top of your radiator frame, there should be a label that specifies the correct timing as per the previous post .. usually that is 10 degrees.

after assembly is done correctly, setting the timing by the notches is extremely difficult and inaccurate. use a timing light (best way) or the dash info center (tedious).

Originally Posted by real_ivan_ivanov
hi, i have a 92 Deville with ~168,000 miles on it. i did some work to it which required me to take the distributor off. When i reinstalled it, the rotor was not aligned properly. Now i need to make sure the that the timing is correct. I found the timing scale that was near the crankshaft pulley and the notch that is on the pulley itself. My question is what is the distribution on the timing scale itself, i.e. how many degrees between each tooth on the scale? That way i can make sure the that the notch on the crankshaft pulley is aligned properly.

Last edited by stomper; 08-04-2009 at 10:29 AM.