1988 devill starter? - Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

1988 devill starter?

Old 05-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Question 1988 devill starter?

I just got a 1988 devill sedan(4.5 enjected) and when we hooked up a new battery the horns (all 4) went off. We unhooked them for now but my main problem is that the starter only clicks like its engaging but not turning. My dad thinks that we need to replace the starter OR its something in the stearing column. The engene turns over so we kjnow its not sceased. What do you all think? Plus if anyone can advise me as to how to get the starter out that whuld be great aswell.

p.s. if any of you know where i can get a key for the hubcaps that whuld be handy aswell.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Tech Certified Members

sounds like a security system is running, with your horns goin, and wont let the car start........

now you say the starter just clicks but not turning, then you say the engine turns over..........?????????????? whats up with that?

check your spare tire wheel well for the key for the wheels....

rickyd

Old 05-27-2009, 05:15 AM

we got the car started yesterday, we ended up taking the starter out and cleaning it up. started first try! i found the key it was in the jack box so thanks for the help didint think to look in the wheel well. still got the problem with the horns tho we are thinking its a relay. if you all have any suggestons it whuld be helpfull.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:30 AM
Default 1988 350 cu in eng. starter.

Originally Posted by rickyd View Post
sounds like a security system is running, with your horns goin, and wont let the car start........

now you say the starter just clicks but not turning, then you say the engine turns over..........?????????????? whats up with that?

check your spare tire wheel well for the key for the wheels....

rickyd
it looks like the starter is right behind the front bumper. as to the "fixer upper" rigs I buy, I like to take the starter out after most of the other problems are solved.. totally disassemble the starter for inspection and re build (if nessary), AND make sure its not "rebuilt in china". vin

Old 05-12-2018, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by trentlane View Post
we got the car started yesterday, we ended up taking the starter out and cleaning it up. started first try! i found the key it was in the jack box so thanks for the help didint think to look in the wheel well. still got the problem with the horns tho we are thinking its a relay. if you all have any suggestons it whuld be helpfull.
look for corrosion in contacts or grounds. may have to take the steering wheel off. vin