Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

1988 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Default 1988 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

I am purchasing a very nice 88 DeVille in excellent condition and plan to keep this car in pristine shape. The owner has performed all regular maintenance and upkeep. It is a beautiful car inside and out. I would like to ask what I can do to keep the car in top condition. Specifically, what should I look for in this model for preventive maintenance, replacement, etc. Also, what are some pluses to this particular model and negatives to look out for? Thanks for the opportunity to ask these questions .... my first Caddy!

Old 11-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Default RE: 1988 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Hi,
Basically, not much. I have one and I have done the Water Pump and fixed the power antenna. Keep the maintenance up to date. Good Luck

Old 11-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 1988 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Hey there T-man: In reply to your post, I can give you some insight from my own experience. When I bought my 1981 Brougham I started to go over the entire car searching for loose bolts,loose wiring, and missing srews, etc. You would not believe the things that I found. Bolts missing, muffler off it's hanger, deteriorated rubber parts, broken wires, and on and on. If you plan to have the car for trips, and general reliability, you cannot put enough emphasis on a thorough preventative maintenance program. It sound like that's what you want to do and it's the only way I believe to own an older car. The alternatives are to be stuck somewhere by the side of the road and calling a tow truck. Not an option in my view. Things will happen beyond your control but you can control things for the most part. Hope this helps, get yourself a good repair manual and read it through just so you are familiar when you start to do some work on the old girl. Enjoy your ride man, and take care.