Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Default Winter Tires

I have a 2007 CTS 3.6L. I know it is the first day of summer today but wondering if anyone can recommend good winter tires.
Thanks

Old 06-22-2007, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Winter Tires

now, this i call planning.

but you didnt tell us where you live

in upstate NY you needed studded tires,
in Oregon you need snow tires AND chains in many roads,
in the CA mountains you need A/T or snow tires, AND 4x4 and chains in many roads.

you get the point ...

ORIGINAL: devous

I have a 2007 CTS 3.6L. I know it is the first day of summer today but wondering if
anyone can recommend good winter tires.
Thanks

Old 06-22-2007, 10:39 AM

This message caught my eye, because I haven’t even thought about needing winter tires (thanks Devous). I recently bought a 2004 Seville and this is my first front wheel drive car. I live in Wisconsin and our last number of winters have been mild in Milwaukee (knocking on wood now !), but I’m remembering a Volvo I had back in the 80’s with low profile tires that handled like #$#@% on snow. Guess I was looking forward to having a front wheel drive car this coming winter.

This Seville came with brand new Vogue tires, but I guess I don’t know how these will handle the snow and if I should be planning on getting some other tires for winter or maybe even some mounted winter’s on plain rims to save the factory chrome rims ?

I’ll be interested in the replies to this post …. Tom

Old 06-22-2007, 03:45 PM

Sorry...I live in Toronto, Canada. For the past 7-8 years I have driven 4-wheel drive SUV's with all season tires.

Now that I'm in a rear wheel drive car will need a good set of Winter Tires.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:26 PM
jim

In upstate NY, I have used studded tires for years, not so much for traction, but for stopping. I have them even on my wifes 4 wheel drive Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have them on all 4 wheels on both cars driven in winter. With rear wheel drive it is usually only necessary to putwinter tireson the rear wheels only, but on front wheel drive it is necessary on all 4. Since you live in Canada, isn't studded tires illegal there? I was told by some good friends of mine that they like the Bridgestone Blizzack tires for winter use, if studs are not used, as the softer rubber holds the road better,they told me the traction is great but the downside to them is after2-3 seasons, the tires wear down to what a typical all season tirewould be.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:04 PM

Hi all, first post.... as Devous, I live in Canada as well (Ottawa) ....I bought an 05 CTS-V in April of 07 and need winter tires in a bad way..have only driven once or twice in the past 6 weeks - naturally I hit a curb going sideways after the slighes of dusing of snow hit the ground...(side note: fet not, the RIMS are being re-finished under warranty by the dealer, as they also hit a curb when tested it just before replacing my differential - don't get me started)

.....All to babble, would either of you guys know what options are available and what you might recommend to me for winter driving? I don't care how crappy its looks, steels rims are fine if they make for them for the V.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:43 PM

I have an 07 CTS and just parked the thing for winter and drive my old 98 4X4 GMC for winter, I heard these cars were not good on ice and snow, so rather than drive it I just parked it. Big Joe I know what your talking about when you mention diffs....on my 5th now.....hummm GM losing $$$ I wonder why...
"and the only thing quicker than a train upon a track was Big joe riding on the bullfrogs back"

Old 01-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Katzmans Caddy - Toronto, I agree with ctsbob, BigJoe,

I rely on my 4X4 GMC when it gets snowy, I pick my days with my Cadillacs although the Deville with FWD and traction control is like a tank, but its everyone else you have to watch for.

Michelin X Ice and General Altimax Artic are top rated tires. Canadian Tire even has a cheap aluminum 5 spoke rims about $100 a piece for snows. You need to go to a 15" wheel and narrower tires.

[/align]

Winter Alloy Wheels
Product #41-7770-6
Painted silver for protection against salt and grime[/align]
From $89.99

[/align][/align]

Old 01-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: BigJoeMufferaw

Hi all, first post.... as Devous, I live in Canada as well (Ottawa) ....I bought an 05 CTS-V in April of 07 and need winter tires in a bad way..have only driven once or twice in the past 6 weeks - naturally I hit a curb going sideways after the slighes of dusing of snow hit the ground...(side note: fet not, the RIMS are being re-finished under warranty by the dealer, as they also hit a curb when tested it just before replacing my differential - don't get me started)

.....All to babble, would either of you guys know what options are available and what you might recommend to me for winter driving? I don't care how crappy its looks, steels rims are fine if they make for them for the V.
A CTS-V on ice with std road tires?
A dangerous combo .. get studded tires .. all the emergency departments in the snow belt use them successfully.
When its all said and done, you will probably save money - avoiding mishaps.

when the season ends, store them in a DARK area, void of any UV light. They will last and last!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: stomper
.. get studded tires ..
Illegal here Stomp, have been for 30 years.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires