Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

Transmission shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Default Transmission shift problem

We just bought a new cts4 coupe and have a problem with the transmission I think. It occasionally will not shift back into sixth gear after climbing a hill. Last time it happened it went for five miles in fifth gear. We slowed for a speed zone then reset the cruise and it then shifted fine.

The dealer after finding no codes test drove the car and could not duplicate and sent the info recorded on the laptop to GM the engineers said it was working as it should. Understand what they are saying but doesn't seem right to me.

Any ideas?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Tech Certified Members

All you can do is to note as much info as possible as to when it happens, Speed, where, accell or decell flat or hill etc. Possibly "Vehicle Data Recorder" could help if condition occurs fair often, VDR is a Dealer tool.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Plasboy
We just bought a new cts4 coupe and have a problem with the transmission I think. It occasionally will not shift back into sixth gear after climbing a hill. Last time it happened it went for five miles in fifth gear. We slowed for a speed zone then reset the cruise and it then shifted fine.

The dealer after finding no codes test drove the car and could not duplicate and sent the info recorded on the laptop to GM the engineers said it was working as it should. Understand what they are saying but doesn't seem right to me.

Any ideas?
Hi Plasboy,

I am sorry to hear that you experienced this issue with your transmission. I see that you are looking to the forum for some feedback regarding this concern. If you decide you want to head back to the dealership, please feel free to PM me. I would be happy to offer an additional layer of assistance while you work with your dealership. If you prefer, you could email me instead at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN: Austin” in the subject line.

Have a great night,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care