Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

The nightmare of buying a new cts

Old 05-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Default The nightmare of buying a new cts

I bought a new 08 cadillac cts march 30th and it had some scratches in the paint, we have now had it back at the dealership 5 times and still have scratches. Then we got it home the 4th time and found 8-9 gallons of water in the trunk and mold/mildew covering everything. After 2 weeks of dealing with gm and sapaugh the dealership we bought from I was just told to brink the car down so they can fix the scratches ??? They had it there 5 times and it still has scratches and one part that for sure has to be painted. I was told over a week ago I was getting a new car for all the problems, then 2 days ago they called and offer a 100,000 warranty instead and today I am told they just want to fix scratches ! Its like the longer I wait and madder I get they keep offering less. I was supposed to be reinburst through a gas card and oil changes for the 300+ miles of back and forth driving and over a month of dealing with constant problems and still nothing there either. Now GM tells me they have done all they can do and since they dont own the dealership all they can do is suggest Sapaugh Does the right thing,which is obviously not happening. So now a month and a half after we bought the car it has 950 miles , a third of which are from bringing it back and forth to the dealer and all new trunk carpet to replace mold/mildew liner. There is moisture in the 3rd brake light now. I just cannot beleive this is how a person gets treated after buying a 50 thousand dollar car ! What to do ???? I have a 08 gm diesel truck and the paint looks way better on the truck to make things worse and both are black.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: The nightmare of buying a new cts

ORIGINAL: 08blackcts

I bought a new 08 cadillac cts march 30th and it had some scratches in the paint, we have now had it back at the dealership 5 times and still have scratches. Then we got it home the 4th time and found 8-9 gallons of water in the trunk and mold/mildew covering everything. After 2 weeks of dealing with gm and sapaugh the dealership we bought from I was just told to brink the car down so they can fix the scratches ??? They had it there 5 times and it still has scratches and one part that for sure has to be painted. I was told over a week ago I was getting a new car for all the problems, then 2 days ago they called and offer a 100,000 warranty instead and today I am told they just want to fix scratches ! Its like the longer I wait and madder I get they keep offering less. I was supposed to be reinburst through a gas card and oil changes for the 300+ miles of back and forth driving and over a month of dealing with constant problems and still nothing there either. Now GM tells me they have done all they can do and since they dont own the dealership all they can do is suggest Sapaugh Does the right thing,which is obviously not happening. So now a month and a half after we bought the car it has 950 miles , a third of which are from bringing it back and forth to the dealer and all new trunk carpet to replace mold/mildew liner. There is moisture in the 3rd brake light now. I just cannot beleive this is how a person gets treated after buying a 50 thousand dollar car ! What to do ???? I have a 08 gm diesel truck and the paint looks way better on the truck to make things worse and both are black.
you said you took it in 4 times:
post each event, who said (use 1st names and company connection),
what was done by separate line items ...

ie ..

1. On July 1, 2008 Joe from HJKL Cadillac Dealership stated blahh blahhh
On July 3, I took car in per item #1 and they did so and such ...

2. etc ...

we'll get you to a point where you hopefully get some power to get this fixed ..
and I agree, no customer should be threated this way, even if the car costed $1,000 ...

Old 05-16-2008, 03:44 PM

I dont have dates in front of me and am furious at how I have been treated and they honestly do not seem to care.
First time - wife dropped off and picked up a couple days later and honestly there was no change still huge long scratches atleast 10 ft of very visible scratches on the hood alone. Had a friend that does body work look at it and he laughed and could not beleive what he saw.

Second time - I dropped it off, Art the service manager walked out looked at the car and said he could not beleive they let this car leave last time looking like that and I thought he was the one that said it was good the first time. Picked up the card and they said they got it as good as they could and see what I thought. The hood was better,but still found scratches on every body panel and a spot on the bumper that would have to be painted. Said to take it and see how it looked outside over the weekend. Looked bad so back for a 3rd time.

Third time - I was directed to the body shop Manager Named Chip and he wiped the car down we went over the car for about an hour and he said he didnt want to paint the car and I agreed as I dont want a brand new repainted car with squeeks,leaks,rattles,etc. So he called Ron the Sales Manager and they agreed that Chip would do whatever it takes to make it look good and keep me happy. I said ok,but if I come back and their is scratches I am gonna be ticked. I was told by Ron that every car has scratches and I should just live with them. I told him i have 3 black cars - 08 2500 diesel gmtruck which has almost flawless paint looks way better than the cadillac even without scratched and a 07 Mustang Boss Gt again paint blows away the CTS. He shrugged it off and said well every car will have scratches and I said well maybe tiny ones,but not 10ft of scratches and the car be littered with small scratches every where.

Fourth time - Came down to pickup the vehicle afetr calling and being told the car was " Scratch Free"
I get there and Chip the body shop mgr says he is to busy to go over the car and Ron comes along . they pull the car into the sun and I immediattly within 10 second start pointing out scratches including a 5"+ one on the driver rear door. I tell Ron I am not sure what to say as I am furious at that point and Ron say, well I am not going to sugar coat things and you need to deal with GM as we are done doing all we can do. I point out scratches and Ron calls a car wash guy out and he tries to wipe off the scratches with a terry cloth towel and proceeds to tell me that cars scratch so easy and just running my bare hand over the car could of scratched it into the clear coat. I take the car extremely upset but not sure what else to say that was friday May 2nd.

Fifth Time - Sunday May 3rd my wife takes the car to get croceries and find here cd case and other items in the trunk covered in mold and a foul mildew smell in the trunk. Raised the spare tire cover and discovers 8-9 gallons of water in there. She called me at work and I said take pics and use a shop vac to get it out of there, so she does. When I get home I called GM Customer Service as this is all i can take now. They make a claim and I get a call from Sapaugh Tues. that they will pick up the car this time only because I tell them I am not driving back down there,but still wastes my gas and mileage. The car is delivered back Friday May 9th and I started talking with the GM of Sapaugh and he told me he was working on getting me a new car and would keep me posted. Then i got a call from the higher up GM rep that has all the power I was told and tell him the story for the 20th time and he says he will be in touch with the dealership.

Then Phil from Sapugh calls me May 13th and says they would like to offer me a 100,000 warrantee for all the trouble and I said I do not want that but want a new car as we had talked about. Then today I get a few calls one of them being Phil saying , hey we need to get your car down here to fix the scratches. Which i take as a complete insult since it has already been there 5 times and still has scratches. I said what about the new car and he says well I think that would cost you to much ? I said what do you mean i would not pay for a new car i was told I would get a new car to replace mine with all the problems and he just calmly says well I think we are just wanting to fix the scratches. So that makes me furious again I start calling GM and they talk with Sapugh and I beleive Joe the GM there who says he doesnt want to do anything more than try and fix a few scratches !! The longer I wait the more backwards there offers go ? My wife just wants a car to drive, she loves the CTS and its by far the nicest car and most exspensive she has ever had so i just want it right. We also have not received any compensation for all the driving back and forth and time spent even though 2 weeks ago I was told we would get something.
Any ideas or help is very much appreciatted as this is a exspensive time consuming nightmare.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

My lawyer would have been involved already. In Florida there is a lemon law. Don't know what state you reside in. We have some guys here that work at dealerships maybe they will chip in. Give youe dealership our link and advise them that this will be all over the internet.

Name of service manager, general manager and owner of dealership? Address, city and zip?

I would sue their asses off. It's no wonder the Japs and the Euros are kicking their asses. My lawyer (depending on the laws of your state) would make sure they had no *** left to kick. I would be all over the media, print and others. BBB would be called, etc. etc.

This is very taxing. Don't give up, and don't let the bastards wear you down.Time is on their side. The lawyer should be dictating by now.

Good luck.

G.A.R.Y.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Tech Certified Members

You are in Missouri?

Lemon laws in Missouri...

New-vehicle owners must report problems or defects in writing to the manufacturer to use the provisions of the Lemon Law. The manufacturer must be permitted a "reasonable" number of attempts to correct the problem.

Under the law, it is presumed that the manufacturer has been given a "reasonable" number of attempts to correct the problem if:

* The vehicle has been in the repair shop for the same problem four or more times and the problem still exists; or
* The vehicle has been out of service because of a problem covered by warranty for 30 or more working days since delivery, excluding delays that are beyond the manufacturer's control.

If the problem cannot be fixed in a "reasonable number of repair attempts" the manufacturer can either offer you a cash refund or a vehicle of comparable value.

Under the law, manufacturers can deduct a "reasonable allowance for the consumer's use of the vehicle" from the refund. The law also stipulates that the replacement vehicle must be acceptable to the consumer.

It sounds like you have gotten to the 4 strikes point - lawyer - maybe - but at the very least get in touch with Attorney Generals office - and make sure that you are also in touch with local consumer advocates, and TV Stations...

And do keep Sapaugh informed of your plans - they will be much more cooperative if you tell them in advance about what you are going to do - eventually you will have to deal with them again - keep them in 'your corner' as much as you can at this point - although it will be difficult

Good luck - I hope you get a CTS that you love -

Old 05-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 08blackcts

I dont have dates in front of me and am furious at how I have been treated and they honestly do not seem to care.
First time - wife dropped off and picked up a couple days later and honestly there was no change still huge long scratches atleast 10 ft of very visible scratches on the hood alone. Had a friend that does body work look at it and he laughed and could not beleive what he saw.

Second time - I dropped it off, Art the service manager walked out looked at the car and said he could not beleive they let this car leave last time looking like that and I thought he was the one that said it was good the first time. Picked up the card and they said they got it as good as they could and see what I thought. The hood was better,but still found scratches on every body panel and a spot on the bumper that would have to be painted. Said to take it and see how it looked outside over the weekend. Looked bad so back for a 3rd time.

Third time - I was directed to the body shop Manager Named Chip and he wiped the car down we went over the car for about an hour and he said he didnt want to paint the car and I agreed as I dont want a brand new repainted car with squeeks,leaks,rattles,etc. So he called Ron the Sales Manager and they agreed that Chip would do whatever it takes to make it look good and keep me happy. I said ok,but if I come back and their is scratches I am gonna be ticked. I was told by Ron that every car has scratches and I should just live with them. I told him i have 3 black cars - 08 2500 diesel gmtruck which has almost flawless paint looks way better than the cadillac even without scratched and a 07 Mustang Boss Gt again paint blows away the CTS. He shrugged it off and said well every car will have scratches and I said well maybe tiny ones,but not 10ft of scratches and the car be littered with small scratches every where.

Fourth time - Came down to pickup the vehicle afetr calling and being told the car was " Scratch Free"
I get there and Chip the body shop mgr says he is to busy to go over the car and Ron comes along . they pull the car into the sun and I immediattly within 10 second start pointing out scratches including a 5"+ one on the driver rear door. I tell Ron I am not sure what to say as I am furious at that point and Ron say, well I am not going to sugar coat things and you need to deal with GM as we are done doing all we can do. I point out scratches and Ron calls a car wash guy out and he tries to wipe off the scratches with a terry cloth towel and proceeds to tell me that cars scratch so easy and just running my bare hand over the car could of scratched it into the clear coat. I take the car extremely upset but not sure what else to say that was friday May 2nd.

Fifth Time - Sunday May 3rd my wife takes the car to get croceries and find here cd case and other items in the trunk covered in mold and a foul mildew smell in the trunk. Raised the spare tire cover and discovers 8-9 gallons of water in there. She called me at work and I said take pics and use a shop vac to get it out of there, so she does. When I get home I called GM Customer Service as this is all i can take now. They make a claim and I get a call from Sapaugh Tues. that they will pick up the car this time only because I tell them I am not driving back down there,but still wastes my gas and mileage. The car is delivered back Friday May 9th and I started talking with the GM of Sapaugh and he told me he was working on getting me a new car and would keep me posted. Then i got a call from the higher up GM rep that has all the power I was told and tell him the story for the 20th time and he says he will be in touch with the dealership.

Then Phil from Sapugh calls me May 13th and says they would like to offer me a 100,000 warrantee for all the trouble and I said I do not want that but want a new car as we had talked about. Then today I get a few calls one of them being Phil saying , hey we need to get your car down here to fix the scratches. Which i take as a complete insult since it has already been there 5 times and still has scratches. I said what about the new car and he says well I think that would cost you to much ? I said what do you mean i would not pay for a new car i was told I would get a new car to replace mine with all the problems and he just calmly says well I think we are just wanting to fix the scratches. So that makes me furious again I start calling GM and they talk with Sapugh and I beleive Joe the GM there who says he doesnt want to do anything more than try and fix a few scratches !! The longer I wait the more backwards there offers go ? My wife just wants a car to drive, she loves the CTS and its by far the nicest car and most exspensive she has ever had so i just want it right. We also have not received any compensation for all the driving back and forth and time spent even though 2 weeks ago I was told we would get something.
Any ideas or help is very much appreciatted as this is a exspensive time consuming nightmare.

That is beautiful .. now find the service do***ents, make copies and follow the "Lemon Law" to the letter ...
Also, let the manager of the dealership know that we are do***enting every step on this site for the world to see.
LET THEM KNOW .. we arent shy around here .. but stay with FACTS .. they gotta be FACTS.

I think you are one hair away from a lawyer .. but if the dealer sees it coming you might not have to.

All of this was said by Gary and Fox of course .. what a team ...

BTW, one bad dealer shouldnt spoil the Cadillac name .. as though as that might be on you.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:47 PM

I was told lemon law doesnt apply to paint because its a dealer isssue not a manufacture problem.
Where would I contact about the lemon law to go further. I dont think they gave us any service docs a couple times when they were just buffing the paint the 2nd or 3rd time ? I have already advised them I am contacting bbb and will look into a lawyer or attorney generals office,etc and honestly they still dont seem to care. Even gm said do what you have to and really was no help at all.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:50 PM

Yes , St. louis Missouri and the dealership is Sapaugh gm country in herculaneum and there motto is fixed the first time guaranteed ! Funny how I will be on the sixth time guaranteed !

Old 05-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Certified Members

Do***ent, do***ent .. make sure they know you are going for the Lemon Law solution and watch them find a miracle cure.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:17 PM

I already mentioned lemon law and they and gm said no lemon law on paint thats dealer related ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The nightmare of buying a new cts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.