Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

Check Engine Light/Reduced Engine Power?? (ANyone please help)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rob208
Had the same problem with my 2010 SRX - hard starting - once it started engine went into reduced power mode and traction manage light and engine light came on. Drove home at 20 mph - restarted in driveway - everything normal except engine light was still on.
Dealer scanned and retreived code DIC P1682. Replaced Powertrain relay in UBEC. Fingers crossed that this works as this is the second visit to the dealer for the same problem.
Hi Rob208,
It's great your dealer was able to look at your vehicle and it was repaired.
If you end up continuing to have this particular issue or have any concerns, please feel free to private message me and I would be more than happy to look into it for you. With any inquiries, please include your first & last name, VIN, mileage and name of dealership.

Thank you,
Sara
Cadillac Customer Service

Old 03-23-2014, 09:17 AM
Default problem solved! (at least for now)

Originally Posted by gmtechs
try a little dielectric grease at the ecm connector. we had many issues with the ecm normal we replaced a bunch of them but found grease work sometimes
2003 CTS...check engine light had been on for over a year and reporting a bunch of different codes but drove fine most of the time so repair didn't seem to be critical. TPS was one of the reported problems, don't remember all the others. On rare occassions the car would slip into reduced power mode, but cutting the engine and restarting would normally get it going again.

Taking advice from here, I cleaned out the throttle body and applied a small amount of dielectric grease to the ECM connectors (after blowing out the connectors and pins with some air).

WOW! Now the check engine light has cleared up and the car is idling and shifting smoother than ever! I couldn't believe such a simple fix was all it took, but it does make a lot of sense. There's a lot of grime that builds up around those connectors and over 11 years I imagine the pin contacts may not be as tight as they originally were.

I can't say thanks enough for the tips I found here, saved me a lot of headache and money for potentially unnecessary repairs.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:25 AM
Default Engine reduce speed

Hi guys my name is Tyler and here's my story I have a 04 cts and recently took it into Firestone for an oil change so the next day the engine light came on so I got home pop the hood took the cover off and notice there was a hose disconnected from the throttle bottle well beside it.... I don't know what it is so I'm thinking it was the vacuum hose still have yet to figure it out but I have a rough idle when in park car messages on radio says engine reduce speed which will only get 2mph so now I figured out to not get that message is to ease into acceleration can only get to 45 mph 50 max but when I start to loose power I'll pull over and crank off and back on and I'll be good to go usually only do it once the engine light would still be on during the process I took it to auto zone they said the throttle body sensor was bad may need to replace it or maybe just need cleaning I tried cleaning no grease or grime or anything came out I have no idea what to do don't really want to take it to the dealership at the moment want to figure out a way to do it my self first.... I don't see how all this could be going on from a simple oil change.... If you guys have any ideas or suggestion my email is tylerlwill@yahoo.com

Old 06-04-2016, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Drama
hey guys im having some serious issues with 03 cts....two days ago i started up my car and the check engine light came on along with the traction control light and the radio displayed engine power reduced, thinking it was a mistake i briefly turned off the engine and started it again and the problem magically disappeared....unfortunately the car suddendly stalled on me on the highway, i turned the key and got it to start again but this time the engine light/traction control light along with the engine power reduced poped up again and the car wouldnt go no more then 2mph (literally 2mph). i got it towed home and yesterday morning it started up fine other then the check engine light staying on so i drove it around the block and everything "seemed" arlrite, today however im having the same problem....

this is a 2003 cts basic model, mileage is at 130k and change, and best of all my warranty is up....the car is well maintained/serviced. money is defenitely an issue so before i take it to a mechanic and get my pockets raped i wanna ask u guys for any suggestions/comments or if anyone has the same problem or better yet an actual solution for this problem.....in other words SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! (seriously)
Im in exact situation you are in how did you resolve it?

Old 03-18-2019, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cadillac Customer Service
Hi Rob208,
It's great your dealer was able to look at your vehicle and it was repaired.
If you end up continuing to have this particular issue or have any concerns, please feel free to private message me and I would be more than happy to look into it for you. With any inquiries, please include your first & last name, VIN, mileage and name of dealership.

Thank you,
Sara
Cadillac Customer Service
hi I'm Corey n I was having sum issues with my engine power n oil pressure the guy I bought the car from said it needed converters but now its saying oil pressure low so another guy told me it was my oil pump wat should i do i just purchased the car n have no insurance or tag yet because cant drive it due too loss of power n oil pressure bein low

Old 06-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Default Help..reduced power

I have changed the throttle body with a new sensor and the replaced the pedal position assembly. After changing both and out over 500$ the car still lost power. Only to throw the same code p2138 accelerator pedal position. Car lost power and still stall. Connections are all in place and just lost now. Had the throttle cleaned a
And all plugs greased. Dont know what else to do now.
Model is a 05 CTS
Any help PLEASE
ANY HELP PLEASE

Old 06-22-2019, 02:04 PM

I had the exact same issues and then some with my 08 cts4. I disconnected the battery and unplugged and replugged the multi pin plugs on the ecm to re-establish the connection. So far, it worked. No issues. I also performed the relearning procedure on the throttle system by turning on the ignition without starting the motor and leaving it for 10 minutes then turning it off before starting.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:19 AM
Default Its the Throttle Position Sensor in the Throttle Body

Poor design. Carefully pop the clips from the sensor and gently remove it. Spray electronics cleaner on the circuit board, let dry, put it back together. It will reoccur in about 6 months, rinse repeat.

2003 CTS tps.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:06 PM
Exclamation pcv valve

your pcv valve is clogged just get new one

Old 10-06-2020, 09:45 PM
Default Reduced engine power

My car is a the dealership, a 2014 ATS. Check engine like and reduced engine power. They are saying it could be the oil pump or the engine!!!!
im so frustrated