Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

3.6L Thermostat replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Default 3.6L Thermostat replacement

Okay please don't flame me and tell me to do my research. I have search the threads and read that the thermostat housing was under the intake manifold but i removed the upper manifold still no where in site. Upper radiator hose goes to an outlet that i removed and still nothing their. Does anyone have a Picture or anything here or is their something i am missing. If I remove the lower manifold is it going to be staring me in the face. Done a lot of work already and still have a lot left without ripping apart extra parts.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:10 PM

From my 05 CTS service manual; DO NOT separate the upper and lower intake manifolds. Remove as one piece. There is a solid pipe that runs across the passenger side of the engine and is bolted to the thermostat housing. Remove the bolt and pipe. The t-stat housing is a 90 degree housing with two bolts holding in down. Its at the back of the engine towards the passenger side. (Behind the right cylinder head) The t-stat is inside that housing. Hope this helps.
Mike.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Thanks man I will do some more digging. This is actually a co-workers car I am working on and i must say got myself into more then I wanted. Trans Cooler busted and started leaking into the coolent and not sure how long she drove like this but the system is just full of sludge now. Not to mention think it might have taken out the trans in the process going to try and drop the pan drain the fluid replace filter and fill it back up (flush). Not looking good currently since it currently doesn't want to move in reverse. Fluid is way low so i hope that might be some of the problem.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:41 PM

Wow. How many miles on this car? What year is it? Was it component failure or damage? I know this happens occasionally, just like to have the info out there so other owners can chime in on wether this is a common problem or not. Good luck with it. Mike.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:59 AM

Well I found the Thermostat and to be honest everyone said you need to remover the intake which i did, but i am pretty sure I could have gotten to it without. I ended up taking off hood, wipers, battery, all those seals and covers around the wipers. I could get to it from the passenger side after all that pretty easy, and once I put the intake back on I am pretty sure it could have still been removed. Just something for the next person to try because I feel it could be done an easier way.

As far as everthing I am doing/did. I flushed the system with water from many different area's in the system. Flushed the heater core seprate even for about 10-15 minutes alone. Keep in mind this coolent is straight sludge two to three times thicker then Transmission fluid. Pulled resivor trying to clean the inside out which is a bitch. Replaced all hoses (Specially radiator hoses), replacing radiator, and thermostat. Dropping transmission pan, cleaning, replacing filter/pan gasket, then flushing transmission fluid. Going to add flush fluid to the system drive for awhile after system is bleed then drain and refill the system.

Anyway you look at it this is not a fun project. Hopefully anyone who has this issue catches it earlier than the girl who's car I am working on. I have a really bad feeling her transmission is shot after all of this. Another reason why car needs to be maintained and not just driven blindly. After working on her car I can tell she has more then likely driven it for the last 6-12 months without as much as an oil change.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:39 AM

Hi Krazyk102 How did it go with this tranny, was it ok or did it need a replacement?
Best reg. Icetrucker.