Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

2017 CTS Front Poor Front Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 09:37 PM
Default 2017 CTS Front Poor Front Suspension

Does anyone else experience front suspension problems with their CTS. My 2017 CTS is a premium luxury 3.6lL that I purchased as a certified used vehicle this past spring with 17,700 miles is BAD! It does have the 19" dia. run flat tires that help create a rougher ride than other tire packages. However I have never had another vehicle bottom out the shocks in the shock tower as frequently as this car. These bangs in the suspension are happening at speeds under 40 mph off the freeway. Yes we have potholes to contend with here in NE Ohio but I have been driving these roads for 50 years.

This is my first Cadillac and I refuse to believe Cadillac would design and produce a vehicle with such a poor suspension. However my dealer has stated that my issues are frequently experienced by CTS owners and they see this issue all the time in this area. I have had the car in for service three times complaining about the front end and wheel vibration. The last visit found a bent rim. I did purchase the tire and rim warranty package at the time of purchase and the rim was sent out for repair. However the vibration is still there. At a scheduled oil change I went to the dealer a half hour early and drove around the neighborhood until I found a place that I could reproduce suspension noises when making a right hand turn. The service representative acknowledged an issued and I have another appointment next week.

Before that service appointment I would appreciate any feedback others have on their experience with the front suspensions on their late model CTS.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:50 PM

Im having similar issues with my 2019 CTS, I got it with 18-19k miles and just as you described, the shocks bottomout so easily. I'm taking mine in a week

Old 01-08-2020, 03:09 PM

Bought my 2017 CTS premium luxury pre-owned CERTIFIED with just under 20,000 miles in March 2019. Because it has the optional 19" rims with run flat tires I also purchased the after market insurance on the tires and rims. Here in NE Ohio we have POTHOLES!! I love the style and features of this Cadillac. It's my first Cadillac!

The CTS has been back to the dealer four times for suspension issues. The first, soon after purchase, was a scheduled visit because the CUE software had problems and at the time I dropped it off I added that the front shocks and suspension was making noises and was hitting bumps hard. Two days later when picked up they stated they inspected the front end and nothing appeared wrong, no trouble codes and reloaded the CUE software.

After driving it for a few more weeks the front end was still not sounding right and there was a tire/wheel vibration in the car. I thoroughly went over the CTS again and found, by the date codes on the tires, two of the tires were newer than the others. Again I made a scheduled visit noting the wheel vibration and the front suspension issues. I also showed the dealer a missing front left locating pin on the strut mount that could be seen from under the hood and suggested it could be part of the front suspension problem. While there an employee stated they remembered my car from the previous owner who kept hitting potholes and blowing out tires and traded it in on a SUV with more tire thickness and smaller rims. AT MY EXPENSE they balanced all tires and noted one rim was bent out of tolerance on a road balance test. Again they inspected the front end and found no issues. Because I purchased the tire/rim warranty I scheduled a third visit to have the rim repaired.

At the third visit I again complained about the front suspension noised and harsh ride performance when dropping it off to have the rim repaired. They had the car for three weeks and found nothing wrong with the front suspension and tried to repair the rim. I received it back two days before going on vacation. The vibration was still present on my week long road trip and the front suspension still is not right.

My next visit was for a scheduled oil change. I arrived at the dealer a half hour early and drove around the area until I found a location that I could repeat the noises and bumping sounds in the front suspension. When dropping the car off for the oil change I insisted the service manager take a ride with me. Once he heard the noises he finally agreed I had suspension issues. I also again indicated the tire/rims still had issues too. Another service appointment was made.

I dropped the CTS off a month ago!!! I told the service manager my CTS was purchased CERTIFIED pre-owned and I believe that during their 162 point inspection/certification process they missed these suspension issues. I also stated I now know the previous owner did need to replace tires after hitting road hazards. I feel the previous owners created suspension issues that were not addressed in the certification process.

I'm still driving their new XT5 the second week in January 2020. Put over 500 miles on their loaner. The service manager test drove my CTS on a freeway and agrees there is a wheel vibration. They have a new front strut mount but a new left front strut has not arrived yet. When that is done they then still must address the bent rim or tire issue. I don't know when I will receive my car back. The loaner new XT5 is nice and I have transportation. I just hope when I receive my CTS back the issues are finally corrected.

Last edited by TiIngot; 01-08-2020 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-27-2020, 11:21 AM

Final Follow up: After a month I received my car back from the dealer. The majority of the wait was caused by the time it took them to receive a replacement front strut. Quick and to the point, I believe my dealer did an excellent job addressing my concerns. I am not 100 percent satisfied with the outcome but I realize there are two contributing factors for my feelings.

First, even though I purchased a certified pre-owned CTS it is still a used car that now has 27,000 miles on it. It isn't new. Second, I live in NE Ohio and the urban roads in Mahoning County are horrible. My 19" run flat tires and rims look great but actually they are much better suited for a southern climate without potholes and patched holes.

The dealer first addressed the popping rubbing noises coming from the left strut. They replaced the left top strut mount and the strut itself too. The noises are gone. Regarding the wheel vibration, all four wheels and rims were removed and sent out for rim analysis and straightening as necessary. When replaced the dealer test drove it and found the vibration was still there. They then installed new run flats on both rear wheels. At freeway speeds there now is no vibration. All service completed was at their expense.

My original post was a complaint and request for others to give feedback from their experiences. It is also my responsibility to give back how Cadillac addressed my concerns. Job well done.

I hope to keep this CTS for a long while. My next decision will be what to do about the tire/rim combination in the future.
1. Stay with the original style?
2. Install non run flat tires as they wear out?
3. Change the rims to 18" and non run flat tires?

Old 02-01-2020, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by TiIngot
I hope to keep this CTS for a long while. My next decision will be what to do about the tire/rim combination in the future.
1. Stay with the original style?
2. Install non run flat tires as they wear out?
3. Change the rims to 18" and non run flat tires?
I would highly recommend 2 &3