Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

2003 CTS Shudder or Chuggle

Old 02-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Default 2003 CTS Shudder or Chuggle

I have been experiencing the Chuggle or Shudder being reported for the 2003-2006 CTS models. I have been to two Cadillac dealers, two days at each dealer, one saying I have a problem and the other saying the car is fine. The car shakes when driving at aconstant speed anywhere between 35-65 mph and I am still under warranty (until May 2007) and can't get it fixed even though there is a TSB out for this issue. First dealer doesn't fix transmission issues and second dealer is basically ignoring the problem even though they test drove my car with me and I duplicated the problem. The torque converter needs to be replaced according to the TSB, but I am getting the runaround. The car didn't shake when I bought it used in May 2006, but since two oil changes ago, approx. the last 6,000 miles I have had this shudder happening while driving. I submitted a complaint with Cadillac Customer Service and they are researching it for me. Anyone out there having this issue on a 2003 CTS? If so, are you having any trouble getting it fixed.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Default RE: 2003 CTS Shudder or Chuggle

First off, What does your warranty cover? Is it a full power train or standard warranty? If you have a full coverage warranty including power train, then Cadillac has to fix it. I am a marketing manager at a dealership and warranty policies on the problems you are having, should only be arguementative between the dealership and the Manufacturer. Take your car to a different GM dealership and tell them your problem, and that other dealers are giving you the run around. Tell them you want the transmission re-programmed due to erratic down shifting, possibly resulting from the torque converter. I don't know what state you are from, but if there is a "lemon law" in your state, throw tht at them if they are being asses about it, because if your car is performing like that and they cannot find or fix the problem while it is under warranty, then your car could be considered a "lemon" and they would have to get you a new one because if the problem is shuttering when you are going fast, that could turn into something serious and possibly put you at risk. They will have to get it fully inspected, free of charge to you, if you claim it could be a lemon. This would be the best way to get your car fixed if every dealership is acting like you're crazy. If you got any more questions just e-mail me. adzmusik@yahoo.com

Old 03-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

your warranty is about to expire?

it is time you make contact with GM/Cadillac and submit a claim.
i havent done that so i dont know the steps, but what usually happens
is they will send a corporate agent to the dealer to determine the problem
and solution.

these guys tell the dealer what they will do. if you cant find out how,
let us know and someone will figure it out.

IMO, dont wait any longer.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Adzmusik

First off, What does your warranty cover? Is it a full power train or standard warranty? If you have a full coverage warranty including power train, then Cadillac has to fix it. I am a marketing manager at a dealership and warranty policies on the problems you are having, should only be arguementative between the dealership and the Manufacturer. Take your car to a different GM dealership and tell them your problem, and that other dealers are giving you the run around. Tell them you want the transmission re-programmed due to erratic down shifting, possibly resulting from the torque converter. I don't know what state you are from, but if there is a "lemon law" in your state, throw tht at them if they are being asses about it, because if your car is performing like that and they cannot find or fix the problem while it is under warranty, then your car could be considered a "lemon" and they would have to get you a new one because if the problem is shuttering when you are going fast, that could turn into something serious and possibly put you at risk. They will have to get it fully inspected, free of charge to you, if you claim it could be a lemon. This would be the best way to get your car fixed if every dealership is acting like you're crazy. If you got any more questions just e-mail me. adzmusik@yahoo.com

Hey adz, nice inside dealer stuff, much appreciated.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:04 PM

I just came from my dealer this morning after getting this exact issue fixed. I knew this has been an ongoing controversy so I asked the service manager for a copy of the service bulletin. If anyone would like a copy I can either fax it or email it to them. Anyway, here is what it says in part:

Do***ent ID# 2009091 2007 Cadillac STS

Subject: 5L40-E/5L50-E Transmission Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Surge, Shutter, Exhaust Moan, Chuggle at Low Speed and Light Load (Reprogram TCM) #06-07-30-030A- (09/05/2007)

Models: 2004-2007 Cadillac CTS 2005-2007 SRX, STS with V6 Engine (VIN Codes 7, N, T – RPOs LY7, LA3, LP1) 2004-2006 SRX 2005-2006 Cadillac STS with V8 Engine (VIN Code A – RPO LH2)

Condition: Some customers man comment on a shudder, surge or chuggle on light throttle under light load just after torque converter clutch (TCC) engagement. Others may comment on an engine exhaust moan in the 1200 RPM range between 65-73 km/h (40-45 mph). This occurs with the transmission at normal operating temperature and commanding the TCC off with the scan tool will eliminate the concern.

Correction: New transmission calibrations have been released to correct this condition in both V6 and V8 applications. Reprogram the TCM using SPS. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB. After reprogramming the TCM, if the condition persists and mileage is greater than 40,234 km (25,000 mi), replace the torque converter, flush the transmission oil cooler, and replace the transmission fluid. If the condition persists, contact the Technical Assistance Center (TAC)

Warranty Information: For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation – K5364
Description – Transmission Control Module Reprogramming with SPS
Labor Time – Use Published Labor Operation Time

I hope this helps everyone who has this problem.