fuel pump question 1964 coupe deville

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Default fuel pump question 1964 coupe deville

Hi there. i was just wondering if anyone out there has a 1964, or some good common sense knowledge on what i'm working with....
i need to take care of the fuel system ie. fuel filter and fuel pump... the car is starving for gas and won't start after cranking over. The fuel filter has about 1/4 inch of fuel in it... (shouldn't it be full?) and the fuel pump... it's supposedly an $88 part, can i rebuild it, or do i just need to get a new one?

thanks. xoxo denise

(just some background. i just got the car a few days ago, don't know any history on it, what's been done, what it needs ... until i discover a problem... it's definately a project car, but i did get 3 good days of driving it before the fuel pump went out on her... so i'm working in the dark at the moment and trying to get a feel for my new baby.... thanks!)

Old 12-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: fuel pump question 1964 coupe deville

Old school cars generally don't start as fast as what they build today. It may take a while to figure out what works best, for your car. Starting tech. can vary some from car to car. Check fuel pressure should be 5-7psi. The extended crank maybe caused by check vave in pump not keeping fuel from draining back to the tank. Not all fuel pumps are rebuildable. Get new one, if you can't then look for kit.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:07 PM

cool. i thought the pressure should be like 10 psi? maybe that's on newer models? i'll definately get a new pump, i priced one at 88bucks local. so it'll be worth it to get her on the road again...

always taking suggestions. if you've got one. i'll listen! xoxo. denise.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:59 AM

Congradulations on the new car, 64's are a great year for Cadillacs, and very collectable. nice design, easy to drive, great engine, and many were eqipted with more of the modern conveineces
like climate control A/C, AM/FM Radio, power antenna, Cruise, auto dimming .. jThey're just a super car all the way around.. You may want to pick up a new fuel filter as well, maybe a few. ( the big glass fuel bowl type filter elements can sometimes be a challange to find, or require special ordering) If that car sat for any length of time brfore you got it, that filter may be bad.. I had to replace the fuel filter in my 62 pretty frequently, and there were 2 kinds ( some were pleated paper, some were more of a felt like cloth) both did the job fine.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:56 PM

the car was kind of a very seldom used "grocery getter" and did sit alot. it's got the clear glass fuel filter on it now and i'll definately see about buying stock in them knowing that they're one of those things that should be taken care of often. hell, maybe i don't even need the pump. not sure...
but today's the day, so here i go to the parts store!
xoxo. thanks for everything fellas, i'll be around to give an update later on
xoxo.
denise.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Default Really stuck new FUEL PUMP not working

Okay so i'm really stuck now. i got the new fuel pump installed, went on fine, pretty sure that there's no hitch there. but i'm still not getting any fuel up to the fuel bowl (filter) and i can't get the car to turn over (except when putting gas in the carb, then only for a second naturally)
i'm sure i didn't bend the rod from the camshaft, but just in case that did happen, how could i tell, and also what other problems may i have leading up to the fuel pump from as far back as the tank and how could i take care of them?

ouch. i think this "quick fix" may be turning into something that's a bit over mine and my buddies heads... ( too bad i don't have all my old car buddies out here... just the young ones that are novices like me)

thanks again! any help is greatly appreciated... xoxo.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Really stuck new FUEL PUMP not working

Disconnect hose at fuel pump that goes to fuel tank. Check vacuum at port on pump. So be over 10" vacuum. No vacuum - fuel pump.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:14 PM

haha... funny SlowRoll! i've already gotten that figured out but good to have backup. poor caddie mae. i got her going but then she stalled out on the road. so tomorrow, back to the drawing board, and under the car this time... ouch.
thanks guys! xoxo.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Tech Certified Members

good luck

Old 12-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

it be a good idea to also check the fuel lines.
fuel in tank is not 10 years old, right?

my dad has a 7 year old car with 700 miles, grocery shopper 0.75 mile each way, claims the gas tank will lasts 3 years,
I think he bought the gas for $2 last time.

Quick Reply: fuel pump question 1964 coupe deville