Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/)
-   Cadillac Coup DeVille (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-coup-deville-30/)
-   -   89 Cadillac Coupe De Ville tranny problem (https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/cadillac-coup-deville-30/89-cadillac-coupe-de-ville-tranny-problem-8799/)

89caddy 05-02-2009 03:08 PM

89 Cadillac Coupe De Ville tranny problem

I just purchased a 89 DeVille with 79k miles but the transmission does not engage any gears. It has a 4.8 litre if that helps any. The tranny will shift but no movement at all. :eek: I can rev up to redline and it will not budge. Is there a computer for this tranny, or is there a fused relay or something simple to start troubleshooting. I know nothing about these cars, and I havent got a Haynes manual yet. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

rickyd 05-03-2009 06:33 AM

ok...... so if you keep reving "it" up to red line the engine will stop "engaging" also. that certainly wont get your transmission to all the sudden start working, dude.
......enough said! ........ little more info, please. did the trans work when you bought the car? none of my business, but how much did you pay for the car with the bad tranny or not? is it 179K, or 79K? for sure? and if the trans worked when you bought the car, tell the forum under what conditions did the tranny go? were you burning rubber, or trying to pop wheelys?....neither will work........ get back to us with more info, please
rickyd

89caddy 05-03-2009 02:41 PM

Rickyd,
Thanks for the reply, First of all it is none of your business how much I paid for the car, so I will not answer that part :rolleyes: The tranny didnt work and I knowingly purchased the car, so I guess that answers the wheely popping or burning rubber part ;) I know redlining the engine will not make a tranny work, dude but I did it just for kicks. As for the mileage, the digital odometer displays 79k so I believe it to be correct :eek: What other information is needed ? I simply need to know if there is a common problem with this certain tranny giving up at a low mileage ? I would rather replace it and try a wheelie although I doubt that with a FWD I could acheive one, maybe a little wheel hop ;) Thanks again Rickyd

89caddy 05-04-2009 04:02 PM

Anybody else have any ideas ? If anyone knows of common problems with these trannys ? (TH440 from what I know) Is there a vacuum line that would not let it work if disengaged ? anything ? Thanks

rickyd 05-04-2009 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by 89caddy (Post 31445)
Rickyd,
Thanks for the reply, First of all it is none of your business how much I paid for the car, so I will not answer that part :rolleyes: The tranny didnt work and I knowingly purchased the car, so I guess that answers the wheely popping or burning rubber part ;) I know redlining the engine will not make a tranny work, dude but I did it just for kicks. As for the mileage, the digital odometer displays 79k so I believe it to be correct :eek: What other information is needed ? I simply need to know if there is a common problem with this certain tranny giving up at a low mileage ? I would rather replace it and try a wheelie although I doubt that with a FWD I could acheive one, maybe a little wheel hop ;) Thanks again Rickyd

sorry to have been such a smart a_ _ , i just had one of those moments.
your trans really is a good one. only think of trouble on them is the TCC silenoid. if that goes the car locks up in forth/od gear, and will stall as soon as you put it into gear. hope it helps
rickyd

89caddy 05-04-2009 08:04 PM

Dont worry Rickyd, we all have those moments. I do also :D But Ive been told its better to be a smart ass than be a dumb ass :rolleyes: Well the TCC solenoid is only a possibility if the tranny actually works ? I doubt thats the case with this one ? I am still hunting for a Haynes manual just to reference for future use. I will try to make time to work on this thing by next week. For now I guess I will keep searching for possible known problems before I remove the tranny. Thanks again Rickyd

carnut 05-13-2009 08:52 PM

If a drive axle or CV joint is broken or not secure in the trans, car wont move but it will shift!!!

89caddy 05-14-2009 10:31 AM

Carnut,
Thanks for the reply. I will check that out. To your knowledge is there any computerized portion of this tranny that will not allow it to function as described ? I had a car (Fo*d) that had tranny problems, and after replacing the tranny it blew it again. It turned out being the computer that was tweeking and the tranny was fine after replacing the computer :confused: I think I may have the computer checked out as well. Thanks again Carnut.

Katzmans Caddy 05-31-2009 11:01 PM

Is there fluid in the trans ?

89caddy 06-11-2009 12:03 PM

Katzmans caddy,
Yes there is fluid. Thats the first thing I checked. I think I may just pull it. I found a used TH440 tranny off a Pontiac. Would that have the same bellhousing or pattern to mount on the Caddy engine ?
Thanks

Katzmans Caddy 06-13-2009 12:28 AM

I have to apologise because I read that you have a 1989 Deville. Just clarify what you mention 4.8 engine size and I don't know what engine that is, probably a 4.5. Any way the TH440 was used in a number of GM vehicles so this one from a Pontiac, I assume a Bonneville, should work. Looks like you will have to pull the transmission anyway so when it is out you will be able to do a good compatibiltly check.

Stealth 06-13-2009 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by 89caddy (Post 31418)
I just purchased a 89 DeVille with 79k miles but the transmission does not engage any gears. It has a 4.8 litre if that helps any. The tranny will shift but no movement at all. :eek: I can rev up to redline and it will not budge. Is there a computer for this tranny, or is there a fused relay or something simple to start troubleshooting. I know nothing about these cars, and I havent got a Haynes manual yet. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Originally Posted by carnut (Post 31669)
If a drive axle or CV joint is broken or not secure in the trans, car wont move but it will shift!!!

Katz, the Chevy Silverado Z-71 came with the 4.8 L engine .. nice upgrade for this '89 Cadi, dont you think? I sure like to see how they achieved that setup.

If the trany shifts, the gears ARE ENGAGING .. sounds odd to me ..
I agree with carnut on the shifting thing, maybe they forgot to hook up the transmission when they installed that 4.9 Chev engine?

forget wasting your money on the Haynes .. buy a FSM instead.

89caddy 06-25-2009 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Katzmans Caddy (Post 32552)
I have to apologise because I read that you have a 1989 Deville. Just clarify what you mention 4.8 engine size and I don't know what engine that is, probably a 4.5. Any way the TH440 was used in a number of GM vehicles so this one from a Pontiac, I assume a Bonneville, should work. Looks like you will have to pull the transmission anyway so when it is out you will be able to do a good compatibiltly check.

Originally Posted by Stealth (Post 32553)
Katz, the Chevy Silverado Z-71 came with the 4.8 L engine .. nice upgrade for this '89 Cadi, dont you think? I sure like to see how they achieved that setup.

If the trany shifts, the gears ARE ENGAGING .. sounds odd to me ..
I agree with carnut on the shifting thing, maybe they forgot to hook up the transmission when they installed that 4.9 Chev engine?

forget wasting your money on the Haynes .. buy a FSM instead.

I made a mistake, the engine is a 4.5 not a 4.8. That would be cool if someone did that swap. I plan on pulling the tranny soon. Thanks for all the suggestions. FSM ? Is that a service manual ?

Stealth 06-25-2009 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by 89caddy (Post 32820)
I made a mistake, the engine is a 4.5 not a 4.8. That would be cool if someone did that swap. I plan on pulling the tranny soon. Thanks for all the suggestions. FSM ? Is that a service manual ?

Factory Service Manual ...

89caddy 08-22-2009 12:05 AM

I finally got some time to work with this tranny problem. I put the car on jackstands, and pulled the tranny pan, and replaced the filter. I filled it with new tranny fluid, and I figured what the heck so I turned her on and put it in drive. It started to actually move the axles and the rotors spun. Is that possible just because it is in the air ? I put the wheels back on took it off the jackstands and it wont budge in any gear just like before. I figured a ditry filter wont cause the tranny not to work, but I guess it was worth a try. I guess my next step is pull it out. Any particular thing I should look out for ? Thanks

92_Daddylac 08-22-2009 12:58 AM

did you recheck the fluid when it was hot to see if you needed to add more? if you change the filter out it will need 6 or 7 quarts. other wise is the check engine or service vehicle light on if so try to get codes. if the service vehicle is on that can be triggered by transmision problems.

stomper 08-22-2009 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by 89caddy (Post 33812)
I finally got some time to work with this tranny problem. I put the car on jackstands, and pulled the tranny pan, and replaced the filter. I filled it with new tranny fluid, and I figured what the heck so I turned her on and put it in drive. It started to actually move the axles and the rotors spun. Is that possible just because it is in the air ? I put the wheels back on took it off the jackstands and it wont budge in any gear just like before. I figured a ditry filter wont cause the tranny not to work, but I guess it was worth a try. I guess my next step is pull it out. Any particular thing I should look out for ? Thanks

you ran the trans without the pan ?

what did you find in the filter when you pulled it? that is a great place to see what is going wrong, by the materials found.

89caddy 08-22-2009 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by 92_Daddylac (Post 33815)
did you recheck the fluid when it was hot to see if you needed to add more? if you change the filter out it will need 6 or 7 quarts. other wise is the check engine or service vehicle light on if so try to get codes. if the service vehicle is on that can be triggered by transmision problems.

Originally Posted by stomper (Post 33817)
you ran the trans without the pan ?

what did you find in the filter when you pulled it? that is a great place to see what is going wrong, by the materials found.

Daddylac,
I did recheck the fluid, and it was in the HOT operating range after running for about 15 minutes. It took 6 quarts. I did not notice any check engine lights but I will look again for service light and check engine. Thanks

Stomper,
I pulled the tranny pan, and pulled the filter, and replaced the filter, gasket, and pan. No I did not run it without the pan. The fluid was really clean and looked new in the pan and the filter. There was a slight amount of metal shavings on the magnet that is located in the pan. Thanks

slowroll 08-22-2009 11:43 AM

You bought a car with a trans problem to start with. The owner most likely had car checked out prior to selling, which may be why lack of debris. Trans not electric shift - computer doesn't control shifting other than TCC. In a "nutshell" trans needs to come out to be repaired or replaced. V6 trans should bolt up there are 2 different final drives (speedo) also TCC can be an issue. Your best bet is to find a the correct trans - use the info on the tag on your transmission to find the correct one. Make sure to flush trans cooler before running next trans so debris possible in it won't cause failure. Check to be sure modulator has strong vacuum - carbon build up in T-body can lead to weak signal effecting line pressure causing failure. Possible causes of initial problem : torque converter, pump/pressure regulator, internal leakage.

stomper 08-22-2009 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by slowroll (Post 33824)
You bought a car with a trans problem to start with. The owner most likely had car checked out prior to selling, which may be why lack of debris. Trans not electric shift - computer doesn't control shifting other than TCC. In a "nutshell" trans needs to come out to be repaired or replaced. V6 trans should bolt up there are 2 different final drives (speedo) also TCC can be an issue. Your best bet is to find a the correct trans - use the info on the tag on your transmission to find the correct one. Make sure to flush trans cooler before running next trans so debris possible in it won't cause failure. Check to be sure modulator has strong vacuum - carbon build up in T-body can lead to weak signal effecting line pressure causing failure. Possible causes of initial problem : torque converter, pump/pressure regulator, internal leakage.

Them metal shavings is a bad bad sign.

I agree .. if you bought from the owner, this was likely a sale in bad faith
or
if the car was traded in and you got it from a dealer, the dealer probably never saw the problem.

92_Daddylac 08-23-2009 12:42 AM

sounds like you should just find a used one that works and have it looked over and go from there. if not take your losses and try to find some one as ... nice as you :rolleyes: to buy the car and take your money and run like the previous guy did. LOL

89caddy 08-23-2009 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by slowroll (Post 33824)

Slowroll,
Thanks. I got the car knowing that the tranny was not working. This tranny is not that easy to find on Craigslist which I was hoping for. Is the FSM available at the Caddy dealer ? I think that is my next purchase. Thanks again

Originally Posted by stomper (Post 33825)
Them metal shavings is a bad bad sign.

I agree .. if you bought from the owner, this was likely a sale in bad faith
or
if the car was traded in and you got it from a dealer, the dealer probably never saw the problem.
Stomper,
When I saw the shavings, I knew it was not a good sign. I knew about the tranny not functioning. The guy I bought it from was a friend of my brothers and he told him and I about it.

Originally Posted by 92_Daddylac (Post 33845)
sounds like you should just find a used one that works and have it looked over and go from there. if not take your losses and try to find some one as ... nice as you :rolleyes: to buy the car and take your money and run like the previous guy did. LOL

Daddylac,
I will get a used one when one pops up. I am not really in a hurry to get it on the road. I doubt there are people as... nice as me because I am way too nice of a person, but I know watcha mean. There are people out there that target "nice" people. Good thing I am not "that" nice

stomper 08-23-2009 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by 89caddy (Post 33853)
Slowroll,
Thanks. I got the car knowing that the tranny was not working. This tranny is not that easy to find on Craigslist which I was hoping for. Is the FSM available at the Caddy dealer ? I think that is my next purchase. Thanks again

lots of them everywhere ...

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=198...wner&_osacat=0

92_Daddylac 08-23-2009 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by 89caddy (Post 33853)
Daddylac,
I will get a used one when one pops up. I am not really in a hurry to get it on the road. I doubt there are people as... nice as me because I am way too nice of a person, but I know watcha mean. There are people out there that target "nice" people. Good thing I am not "that" nice

LOL your a funny guy. atleast you can take a joke. some people just get offended. lol. well good luck and keep us posted on what you do.