fan control 87-89

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default fan control 87-89

[align=center]
[/align]

Fan Control Modules

FAN CONTROL MODULES 1987-1989 Allante's All Allantés from the 1987 through 1989 model years utilize the same engine cooling control control module to operate the engine cooling fans. If you are gettting a COOLING FAN FAULT message on your DIC, chances are either this module is bad, or one of your fan motors has failed. Or your engine is running hot, this module is a possible cause. It is located underneath the car, on the right front corner below the right front headlamp. You get at it from under the car. There are 4 connectors to remove, and two mounting screws. The easiest way to check this module is to turn your AC on HI, and see if both cooling fans run on HI. If not, check to see if your fans will run with power applied directly. If so, the module is likely to be bad. If your fans will not stop running after the car is turned off, this is another indication of a defective module. Allantesource generally has good used fan control modules in stock, pretested and ready to ship. You will realize significant savings over the cost of a new module.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)
Default RE: fan control 87-89

GARY

Wish I had a list of parts/electronics/modules/relays to replace at about $50 each or so. Those that will go sooner or later so as these cars get 60-200k on them what do we replace first in our own PM schedule?

Old 04-04-2007, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

Bill,

within two miles from home i got two different guys that do miracles.

one guy does anything that was ever electronics,
the other guy does anything that was ever a armatrue with windings.
ohhh .. 12 miles from here i got a guy that does nothing but ancient carbs.

the last item wont help us in our modern cadies but the other two,
i keep hoping they dont go out of biz.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Tech Certified Members

This fan module is also found on the radiator support on Eldos and Sevilles of this era. Because they are mounted directly in the air flow, not under the fender, they seem to last longer. My 88 had this fault message and it was because the fans would not go to max speed. Got one from a wrecked Seville, worked great.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:41 PM

I had a cooling fan fault message on my '89 Eldorado, actually so did the last owner, from the repair receipts left with the car. The mechanic noted the problem and said the fans were working okay but they did not fix the fault. ?? [sm=smiley24.gif] ??

Thanks everyone for the great information, as a result of what I read here on this forum Iwas able to trace the problem back to the module, went to the auto recycler and replaced it,now everything is working as it should.

Being the kind that needs to know how things work, I took the module apart. Has anyone ever seen a wiring diagram for these things or know where to look for one? I don't plan on fixing it, I am just curious.

I just want to say I really appreciate this site, keep up the execelent work.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 04-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Dave, we are constantly trying to build on our FREE faq section. If you ever figure out the guts of the module let us know.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

By carnut

On an 89 there is a module located in front of the right front wheel behind the inner fender. It controls operation. Mine did this and both fans worked? Determined that the high fan speed was not being turned on so the computer turned on that message. I replaced the module and all was well. This module because of its location gets very warm in operation which I believe causes failure. The module was also used on 88 thru 90 Eldos and Sevilles and is mounted just behind the grille, passenger side. Because its in the air flow, it lasts longer. Try www.allantesource.com for another or visit the local wrecking yard. I now own a 91 so the fans are wired thru relays unlike my 88.

Keep in mind the Allante was a shortened Eldo chassis. So many things like calipers, pads, turn signal switches, express down window modules, Cruise control servos, wheels are interchangeable.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:10 PM

I had a question would an 84 Eldorado fan control module work in an 87 Eldorado ???