Rebuild my Recaro seats? Cadillac Allante

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Default Rebuild my Recaro seats? Cadillac Allante

I have spent the last year or so softening up my original leather, it was darn near cardboard hard when I got it 3 years ago, and now, after many applications of leatherique and Bick 4, the hides are beautifully soft (thanks stealth for all the info on leather treatments, avoiding and removing silicone and suggested products to use) , I know I can recolor my seats, but can I re-stuff the seats? and keep their original shape? I know the original foam was pre-molded,and the upholstery was actually stapled to the foam in parts, before it was attached to the seat frames, has anyone rebuilt their seats? I really want to try to keep the original leather, and don't want to pay retail to have someone else do it if I can pull it off myself.
any help appreciated.
Matt

mod edit
title

Last edited by Stealth; 06-19-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cadmat
I have spent the last year or so softening up my original leather, it was darn near cardboard hard when I got it 3 years ago, and now, after many applications of leatherique and Bick 4, the hides are beautifully soft (thanks stealth for all the info on leather treatments, avoiding and removing silicone and suggested products to use) , I know I can recolor my seats, but can I re-stuff the seats? and keep their original shape? I know the original foam was pre-molded,and the upholstery was actually stapled to the foam in parts, before it was attached to the seat frames, has anyone rebuilt their seats? I really want to try to keep the original leather, and don't want to pay retail to have someone else do it if I can pull it off myself.
any help appreciated.
Matt
U R very welcome ...

As to stuffing, not bad for 20 yrs of so .. not bad. all my cars (Lincoln also uses Recaros) have original skins and they are superb .. those Austrians sure know how to build these seats and no wonder they can cost $2,000 each and such is the reason that the '93 models dropped them, right along several other Allante innovations .. cost savings to pay for the N*.

you can add foam to the frame side of the foam (I have done that) and the skins will keep their shape as long as you dont add the foam to the skin side.

however, there may well be foam replacements that are close enough to give you back the shape and firmness of 20 yrs ago.

The pics below are of one such foam replacement - not a Allante. It matters not, a Recaro is a Recaro.

The foam replacements came from:
http://www.capitalseating.co.uk/

BEFORE ...

Name:  DSC_0001.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  73.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0013.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  84.7 KB

AFTER ...

Name:  DSC_0022.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  82.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0010.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  74.7 KB
Name:  DSC_0016.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  93.3 KB

Last edited by Stealth; 06-19-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

one more thing .. get an ELECTRIC KNIFE

The only way to cut and trim foam ...

and you know there are tons of cars at salvage yards with ripped or cut Recaro seats and perfectly good foam innards .. and reports of people removing a seat section, a bolster, the skin and foam at very low cost.

Last edited by Stealth; 06-19-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:57 PM
Default How to soften the old leather?

Originally Posted by cadmat
any help appreciated.
Matt

mod edit
title

Could you give me more details on leatherique and Bic4? My seats are very hard. I'm about to try a pure lanoline. (?)

STEALTH- could you please help?
Thanx

Old 09-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by MRDANGERUS
Could you give me more details on leatherique and Bic4? My seats are very hard. I'm about to try a pure lanoline. (?)

STEALTH- could you please help?
Thanx

available at tack, saddle and horse equip supply stores or direct at internet stores.

Last edited by stomper; 09-01-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:53 PM

I have cts v 2016 recaro seat back,,,,$500...check to see if it will fit,,,,,,,,denny 262 744 4006