Newbie Interested in the aquisition of an Allante

Old 10-21-2009, 05:36 AM
Default Newbie Interested in the aquisition of an Allante

Want to introduce myself to the group. The name is Dave. I do own a Cad; a 1955 Coupe de Ville. As she is 2-tone gray, we have dubbed her The Gray Lady. She does have her own web site (see link in signature).

I also own a 1962 Olds Dynamic 88 convertible, with all of 34,000 original miles on her! For any with an interest, I am the Ed./Pub. of a free, monthly, no advertising, online newsletter dealing with the car collecting hobby. The link to it is in my sig.

==> My reason for being here is to learn all I can about the Allante, as we are considering the purchase of one. I have narrowed it down to a 1992 model year. The problems with the 1st yr. N* engine in '93 are more than I want to take on.

It would appear there is little-to-no difference (mechanically, engineering wise, etc.) between the 1991 and 1992 models. Is this a fair assumption? I ask, as perhaps I should be expanding my field of possible choices?

What are knowledgeable folks opinion on a fair price for a good-to-excellent, low mileage (50,000 miles or less) '91 or '92 Allante?

If I had my druthers, I would prefer one with the analog dash, but I doubt I will be able to find one.

Look forward to participating herel

Old 10-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator
Default Allante cars

Originally Posted by OldsD88
Want to introduce myself to the group. The name is Dave. I do own a Cad; a 1955 Coupe de Ville. As she is 2-tone gray, we have dubbed her The Gray Lady. She does have her own web site (see link in signature).

I also own a 1962 Olds Dynamic 88 convertible, with all of 34,000 original miles on her! For any with an interest, I am the Ed./Pub. of a free, monthly, no advertising, online newsletter dealing with the car collecting hobby. The link to it is in my sig.

==> My reason for being here is to learn all I can about the Allante, as we are considering the purchase of one. I have narrowed it down to a 1992 model year. The problems with the 1st yr. N* engine in '93 are more than I want to take on.

It would appear there is little-to-no difference (mechanically, engineering wise, etc.) between the 1991 and 1992 models. Is this a fair assumption? I ask, as perhaps I should be expanding my field of possible choices?

What are knowledgeable folks opinion on a fair price for a good-to-excellent, low mileage (50,000 miles or less) '91 or '92 Allante?

If I had my druthers, I would prefer one with the analog dash, but I doubt I will be able to find one.

Look forward to participating herel

well, you got my attention.

this site was basically created by Allante guys.
take a look at the Allante FAQ we got .. specially the XYZ Allante facts.

1992 is a good year, a very good year.
understand the VIN and decide which 1992 Allante (or even 1991) you want .. there are two types .. a two top and a single top. the VIN tells all.

btw, i run with a '88 and a '92 .. the '88 is tagged for retirement, the '92 is tagged for posterity.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:41 AM

Stealth,

You may rest assured I have studied the materials you referenced, as well as read every msg on the forum relating to Allante; which totalled 500 as I recall!

Yes, I do understand the VIN scheme. I have no interest in, or need for, the hardtop.

Is my assumption on 91's being nearly the same as 92 with any validity?

What about FMV for the conv model, with low (less than 50K miles) in either year?

Old 10-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by OldsD88
Stealth,

You may rest assured I have studied the materials you referenced, as well as read every msg on the forum relating to Allante; which totalled 500 as I recall!

Yes, I do understand the VIN scheme. I have no interest in, or need for, the hardtop.

Is my assumption on 91's being nearly the same as 92 with any validity?

What about FMV for the conv model, with low (less than 50K miles) in either year?

I also like the analog clusters best.

the 1991 and 1992 models are the same, i dont believe that the FMV is much different on either. color has more impact on value than mileage. some of the colors are rare, with some as little as 21 cars made.

at 50,000 miles, expect to pay a premium. make sure that you check for codes and most important for condition of the ABS (pump, a c c u m u l a t o r, master cyl), internal inspection of the tail lights ($400 - $600 each), cracks on headlights ($350 each), rust on strut towers, pull downs (front and back) .. the 4500 drivetrain is the least problematic item in these cars, is fairly easy to test, and if taken care off will go 200,000+ miles.

the note about the hard top is regarding those that have a knack for certain things, specially if they like the less common models. the "hard top" series in the 1991 / 1992 are most rare, and yet, few are aware of that.
At this time, one can get the "hard top" model w/o the hard top and will carry the VIN, and wont cost any more than the non-hard top model .. will that change 10 / 20 years from now? who knows. personal choice.

if buying at this point, without putting down the other models, i now only recommend the Phase II Allante .. 1990-1/2, 1991, 1992 ...

Last edited by stomper; 10-22-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 PM

Stomper,

Good points on items to check. Thanks.

I hear you on the premium for a low mileage ride. The question is how much of a premium will the dealer try to extract? I do know the dealer acquired the car via an auto auction. That it did gives me a bit of a handle on how much it may have actually invested in the car, as well as how much profit it should make.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Certified Members

I'm finding the best Allantes and buys in Craigs.

for the most part, i see no reason to buy a 17 year old Allante from a dealer at a retail premium other than they got exactly what I want.

for the most part, dealers know even less about the specialty of the systems of these exotic cars.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by stomper
I'm finding the best Allantes and buys in Craigs.

For the most part, i see no reason to buy a 17 year old Allante from a dealer at a retail premium other than they got exactly what I want.
If it makes any difference, the one I am looking at is NOT being sold by a Cadillac dealer. This place has in its inventory vehicles like a used Maserati.

In terms of paying a premium, I am thinking of a purchase price shy of $9K for a '92 Allante in excellent condition with 48,000 on the odometer.

Is my thinking out of line?