Back on the road-with issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:35 AM
Default Back on the road-with issues

Ok, so my '91 Coupe has sat in the backyard without moving for probably 2 years... new battery and fresh gas, fired right up. Of course, the main problem is the brakes. They're not completely frozen, but howl something fierce when I try to move it. My questions are, since I'm going to have to disassemble everything, would it be worth it(time, effort) in the long run to convert it to disc? How easy would it be? What would bolt up the easiest? And what all would I need?
Thanks-

Old 04-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 91DeVille
Ok, so my '91 Coupe has sat in the backyard without moving for probably 2 years... new battery and fresh gas, fired right up. Of course, the main problem is the brakes. They're not completely frozen, but howl something fierce when I try to move it. My questions are, since I'm going to have to disassemble everything, would it be worth it(time, effort) in the long run to convert it to disc? How easy would it be? What would bolt up the easiest? And what all would I need?
Thanks-
are you sure it is not the power steering? howling is usually the trade mark of a PS pump low in fluid.

as to the brakes, what you mentioned is a lot of work & expense. Unless you are into competition, I say skip it.

Flushing the brake system will likely return the system performance. Brake fluid with moisture tends to GEL. Depending on where you live, that may be the problem and if seriously affected, the various seals may also be in poor shape. try the flush and check the power steering.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:50 AM

no, I know the power steering noise. Changed and topped off all of the fluids before I fired it up, too... The howl was more the metal-on-metal of the drums breaking loose(partially). it drags/loses speed when driving and is running about 5 mpg, too, although that's just in the 4 miles between the gas station and home.
It's also intermittently kicking in the ABS like there's something sticking.
I already took a sledge to the drums too; loosened things up a touch.