04 CTS E-Brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Kik
Default 04 CTS E-Brake

Hi, Have the 3.2L 5sp. Is there a way to adjust the E-brake? As it is now, I can push the pedal almost all the way to the floor and the brake is just holding. If I park on too much of an incline then it will not hold. All advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Kik

Thought I'd give this one a bump myself..hopefully someone can answer this. Thanks

Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 AM

I am having a car that is 4 years old. Now it has problem in its braking system. Could anyone help me what I do now??

Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Kik

Originally Posted by Leamont
I am having a car that is 4 years old. Now it has problem in its braking system. Could anyone help me what I do now??
What's the problem? The E-brake or other braking problems?

As for my original post, I just had the car into the mechanic to replace the exhaust manifold the dealer screwed up. He informed me that the brake pads were pretty thin. He didn't say which pads, I assumed it was the front. I changed then out with ceramic pads. Now I don't have much experience with these Cadillacs so I might just be wrong but, as soon as I replaced the front pads the E-brake applied position raised, meaning I can no longer push it to the floor like I did before. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can tell me if the E-brake is tied to the front disks as well as the rear disks??

Old 01-08-2013, 01:12 AM

Could anyone help me what I do now??

Old 01-21-2013, 01:06 AM

Could anyone help me what I do now??

Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 AM

this forum seems to have a good bit of spammers.
Kik, did you ever get your problem sorted?

I think it may be coincidence that the problem developed when you did you're front brakes.

The first thing I would do is inspect the rear pads (I'm assuming disks and not drums) and see how they are. If they need replacing, replace them. also there is usually some form of adjustment in a parking brake system. Often times at the pedal and at the caliper itself the cable pull length can be adjusted.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Kik

Originally Posted by natecade1
this forum seems to have a good bit of spammers.
Kik, did you ever get your problem sorted?

I think it may be coincidence that the problem developed when you did you're front brakes.

The first thing I would do is inspect the rear pads (I'm assuming disks and not drums) and see how they are. If they need replacing, replace them. also there is usually some form of adjustment in a parking brake system. Often times at the pedal and at the caliper itself the cable pull length can be adjusted.
natecade1 Thanks for responding. I have replaced the pads on both front and rear disks. Just to be straight. The E-Brake has always gone to the floor and barely held. Since replacing the brakes front and back, for about a week, I could push the E-Brake about halfway down and it was nice and solid. After that it started going to the floor again. I looked under the brake pedal but didn't see an adjustment. I will look again, pretty tight under there. Also I looked at the rears when I changed the pads. I didn't see an adjustment there either BUT, I have never seen a braking system like the Cadillac on any other car either. The E-brake is inside the center hub on the rear disks. I assume there must be some sort of pad inside the disks...Maybe those are worn out...I'll be tearing into it this weekend to find out and report back.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:57 PM

oh, thanks for refreshing my memory on the type of braking system. I just did one a suburban not too long ago. Basically it is combination rotor/drum brake in the rear with the drum serving as the parking brake.

after removing the entire caliper and rotor the shoes are changed like you would change shoes on any normal drum brakes.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Kik

Originally Posted by natecade1
oh, thanks for refreshing my memory on the type of braking system. I just did one a suburban not too long ago. Basically it is combination rotor/drum brake in the rear with the drum serving as the parking brake.

after removing the entire caliper and rotor the shoes are changed like you would change shoes on any normal drum brakes.
Hey thanks for that info. It'll make it a lot easier knowing what I'm getting into. I would have done them by now and reported back but, my dad fell in his driveway the other day and broke his neck (He's 80yo) So I kind of put the E-brake off until I know for sure I don't have to drive 1250 miles down there to go help out.

Quick Reply: 04 CTS E-Brake