Transmission Type ID?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Default Transmission Type ID?

The tranny is going out in my '97 Deville. I have seen reference to VIN "Y" and "9". How do I tell what transmission it is, so I can get the right one to replace it? Also, what all is involved in removal and installation? Does the engine stay in and trans. come out from below? Or...?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default GM transmissions .. RE: Transmission Type ID?

ORIGINAL: Dad0850

The tranny is going out in my '97 Deville. I have seen reference to VIN "Y" and "9". How do I tell what transmission it is, so I can get the right one to replace it? Also, what all is involved in removal and installation? Does the engine stay in and trans. come out from below? Or...?
If you are looking in salvage yards, they will know by your VIN.

Otherwise, I go by this as a guideline, taking pictures and comparing the units in question when I need one.
I have seen too many transplants from other cars to just dive in by car model. If you know that both the dying trani and the donor trani are factory OEM for that model car, never replaced, this guideline below is pretty good.

But even then, I am starting to hear of modified valve bodies inside the transmissions due to lack of solenoids.

An '97 doesnt sound that old to me. I got several cars 10 years older than that and they are doing great.
So, may I ask why you are changing the transmission out? What is going out mean?
Is it slipping?
not shifting?
gear hunting?
how many miles you to it on it?
are you getting codes?

the econo interims :
have you done a filter and fluid service?
did you break up the filter and see if anything was in it?
have you poured a couple bottles of Lucas into it yet?

Old 04-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Default RE: GM transmissions .. RE: Transmission Type ID?

Thanks for the info, Stealth. Can you tell me if the tranny comes out alone or with the engine? The only time I have seen a front wheel drive tranny taken out was on an older Cavalier and you had todrop the whole front end and lift the body off of it.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:12 PM

Can anyone tell me what the Flat Rate book says for the labor time on a tramsmission change on my '97 Deville? And, does it come out by itself or with the engine?

Old 04-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Certified Members

Trans comes out the bottom, time should be around 8.6 for swap. STS, ETC,Concours should be vin 9, Vin Y will be Devilles with KD or KE in vin.... loose trans, post info off metal tag off on trans. All will have 4T80E cast into transmission case. Vin Y is the more common powertrain package especially in Deville.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the info, slowroll! I had checked the VIN and according to that it is the "Y" trans. I will check the tag when it is out. Again, THANKS! I appreciate the help!