Problems with transmission 1995 seville

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Default Problems with transmission 1995 seville

Hello gents. I'm a Cadillac owner from Norway, and this is my first post here after reading a lot!
I have a 1995 Cadillac Seville. 4,6L Northstar and what I believe is a 4T80-E transmission. The car has been very good in the last 5 years I've had it, but a couple of days ago problems started...
When driving with the shifter in OD, the rpm jumps and it appears as it is driving in 3rd gear. When I pull of the accelerator and press it again, nothing happens before reaching about 3000rpm. The Service Engine Soon warning light also comes on. When I turn off the engine and start it again, everything is back to normal. For a while...
I checked the OBD (as described in a post at this forum) and found these codes.

P094 History (Transaxle Shift "A" Solenoid Problem (Vehicle speed sensor))
P106 Current (Sudden vehicle deceleration w/o brake switch being activated)
A037 History (Loss of instrument panel cluster)
S044 History (Lift or dive signal???)

I then deleted all codes.
After this, only the P094 history code comes up when I run the OBD test after the fault occur.

I'm thinking as this fault disappear when turning the engine off letting me drive the car normally for a while before the fault reappears, this must be an electronic/sensor fault. Where do I start searching? Anyone seen the same problem before?

Elliot

Old 10-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Certified Members

It is likely broken shift solenoid. GM makes service kit to correct.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Ok, will contact my local parts dealer to see if he can get the parts for me.
Any thoughts regarding this fault being just electrical and not mechanical?

Does anyone have a drawing and a description where and how to replace these solenoids?

Old 10-11-2010, 03:24 AM

I ordered this one today:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4T80E...s#ht_582wt_939

Hopefully this will do the trick...
Still looking for a "how to" replace these... anyone?

Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Tech Certified Members

Very likely that the solenoid filter has blown out of the valve body, and busted the solenoid. VERY common issue on the early 4T80Es. You can see the filter in the pic you posted of the parts on ebay. That filter is positioned between the two solenoids, and when it pops out, it takes the solenoid connector with it. The metal bracket in the pic is the solution...it holds the filter in. The bolt is a little longer to make up for the added thickness of the bracket.
Replacing the solenoids, and the filter/bracket require removal and dis-assembly of the lower valve body. If GM had been halfway smart, they would have installed the clips that hold the solenoids in on the other side of the valve body, so they could be removed without disassembling the VB, but...they didn't. I always install the clips from the other side, so they can be changed much easier next time.
You really need the service manual to do this, if you're not familiar with the trans/valve body. There are several 1/4" steel check ***** in the valve body, and they need to be installed in the proper locations.
You may want to have a trans shop handle this for you, but you can pull the pan and look to see if this is in fact the problem first.

Last edited by Adams' Apple; 10-11-2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: spelchek
Old 10-12-2010, 01:18 AM

Thanks for the reply Adams Apple
I have ordered a service manual for the trans as well But while I'm waiting for that; I hope it is possible to do this operation while the trans is still in the car...
In the real life I'm a "maritime chief engineer", so not used to work on small components as a transission, I hope I can read the manual and do the work myself. It is way to expencive to have this kind of work done around here...

Old 10-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Tech Certified Members

The lower valve body can be removed with the trans in the car. You will find a LOT of 10mm head bolts holding it on, but not all of them need to be removed to get it off. There are also two 10mm nuts on studs at the pass side end.
You'll need to disconnect the three harness connectors, as well as the manual valve linkage, which is basically a large wire with bends on both ends. The end that connects to the shift linkage is held on by either a metal clip, or a plastic piece of crap that will most likely break, but they are available if needed from the dealer. When disconnecting the harness connectors, don't be surprised if one or all of the locking clips break...they do quite frequently, but it doesn't really effect the integrity of the connector.
You'll also find two separate filter screens, one on either end of the trans. These are re-usable once cleaned, unless they are torn, or heavily contaminated.

You will have one bolt left over when completed, so don't be alarmed...it is the bolt you will be replacing with the longer bolt that comes in the service package.
hth

Old 10-12-2010, 07:39 AM

Sounds like a easy job, but I'll guess I'll wait for the manual. The easiest and cheapest way to get parts for my car is from ebay, as there are no Cadillac dealers around my place. Then we'll wait... USPS is not the fastest...

Old 10-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Tech Certified Members

Where are you located? If you are in the US, and you have the plastic linkage clip, and it breaks, send me a P/M, and I'll stick one in the mail for you. I keep a few in my tool box.

I can also e-mail(or post a link here) the diagram(s) for the lower valve body, showing the check ***** and their locations. This info will also be in the service manual, but...

Old 10-13-2010, 02:15 AM

Adams Apple:
sorry I live in Norway, as in Europe... Located in a small town in the mid western area. There are no Cadillac dealers around, and not many Cadillacs either. Nearest dealer are 8h drive from here... Then ebay is easier.
But I really appreciate your help, and would really like an email or a link to the diagram for the lower valve body. I know this is in the service manual, but I think it will be a few more days before the mail arrives. So good thing to be prepared
My email: elliot@c2i.net

Quick Reply: Problems with transmission 1995 seville