Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

RTV on Oil Pan

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Default RTV on Oil Pan

'87 DeVille4.1L
I'm changing the gasket on my oil pan from an old oil-soaked cork to a FelPro PermaDry gasket. The FSM states in an....! IMPORTANT....Apply a 1/4" bead of RTV at the rear main bearing cap and front cover to block joints.

I don't understand what that means about blocking joints.
What 'joints' is the FSMreferring to? Using this typegasketis the RTV needed at all?
I'm hoping this gasket is the cure foroil-leaking I've been trying to heal for some time now.
Hope someone can answer. Thank you!

Old 09-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: RTV on Oil Pan

ORIGINAL: Dave S Texas

'87 DeVille4.1L
I'm changing the gasket on my oil pan from an old oil-soaked cork to a FelPro PermaDry gasket. The FSM states in an....! IMPORTANT....Apply a 1/4" bead of RTV at the rear main bearing cap and front cover to block joints.

I don't understand what that means about blocking joints.
What 'joints' is the FSMreferring to? Using this typegasketis the RTV needed at all?
I'm hoping this gasket is the cure foroil-leaking I've been trying to heal for some time now.
Hope someone can answer. Thank you!
joints as where the ends of the oil pan meet the engine block ...

the use of sealants can get contraversial .. some use none, some use it on all surfaces, both extremes can have side effects.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Thanks Stealth for the answer. Whoever installed this cork gasket used plenty of Indian Head cement, except at the front/read short sections. Short gasketrun at the rear had no evidence of anything and that piece of gasket fell off,same atthe front piece. Carbonized oil tracks on the inner side of the pan showed where it's been leaking though.....for years/years.
Once I get all the cement off and the surface clean/shiney, I'll lay-in a bead of RTV at both locations, give it 30min to skim-over and put the gasket on. Is there any need to put a little rtv on the studs at the rear so oil can't migrate thru the nuts?
I appreciate your help, thank you!
Dave

Old 09-19-2008, 03:43 PM

I would put extra RTV on the studs, and also a little around all the bolt holes. I replaced the pan gasket on my 90 Eldorado 4.5 about a month ago, and that pan is still completely dry where it always used to drip by the timing cover. The trick is to make sure you get off all the old junk and clean the block surface and pan surface as best as you can before laying down the gasket. Also, if there are any uneven areas from uneven tourque on the bolts, try to flatten those areas out. Also, use a torque wrench if possible so you don't over/under tighten the bolts. I spent 25 bucks for a new GM gasket but it was the best investment I made so far with that car.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:17 AM

Thanks. When I finished cleaning bothmating surfaces, each was shiney-clean as was in inner surface of the oil-pan.Checked the pan surface for 'flat'....it was. Didn't RTV the bolts though. I always torque everything.