Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

HELP!! Wierd Noises....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 AM

What easiest way to unbolt the convertor? Can i get to them with the starter out? Looks to be a pain to drop the inspection cover.

AL

Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Tech Certified Members

Yeah...getting the cover off is a pita, but...it's easier than pulling the starter, and I don't think you can reach the converter bolts from the starter hole...
To tell ya the truth, I've never actually pulled on of these transmissions myself...I just build them. I can check tomorrow and ask the guys to see the easiest way to get to the converter bolts, if no-one else responds.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:46 PM

Thank you so much.

AL

Old 04-21-2010, 09:17 PM

I finally had time to mess with this again, I pulled the starter again and found the nose of the starter had a few nicks on it where the flywheel was hitting it, I got a different starter and the nose had a different shape to it, thinking someone may have put the wrong starter in it being its 94 specific, it was way worse with the other starter, I pulled it back out and the side of th gears on the flywheel was very clean and one of the converter bolts had scrapes in it as if it was hitting something, I could see that there is some casting on the block that was shiny too where it was being scraped. So now its either a cracked flywheel or the bolts on the flywheel/crank have loosened up. Going to pull the inspection cover tomorrow and according to a transmission buddy I should be able to get to the crank bolts if I can slide the converter back once I take the converter bolts out and get a wrench up there to check the crank bolts, sounds like a lot of wishful thinking but I will give it a try.

AL

Old 04-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Certified Members

To change flywheel in the car get your magic wand because it is not happening, there is not that much space. To change it you will need to drop trans which maybe OK. If you can support engine it is possible to start it with out trans in the way to see if your noise is gone. Also FLYWHEEL TO CRANK BOLTS ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE RE-USED. It si possible something is loose in bell housing area causing noise, flywheels don't break very often. Teeth issues are another story.