Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

HELP!! Wierd Noises....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Default HELP!! Wierd Noises....

Hi, I am faily new here and usually come here looking for answers, I have a 94 Eldo/northstar, 90,000miles, and the car has sat for a little over a year when i bought it, I changed oil, and some other things it needed, but hadn't really driven it only down the street a time or two, I got plates for it last week and took it to fill it up, about a block from home it started making a noise, sounds like something scraping on the flywheel, I looked at the flywheel through the inspection cover and didn't see anything, I pulled both belts first, still had noise, after a buddy that is a mechanic listened to it, he thought maybe the starter had gotten stuck in the flywheel, it also has a whistleing noise too, I pulled the starter and the shaft was gummed up, so i cleaned it with brake cleaner then put a little grease on it and it worked fine on the bench. I put it back together and it still makes noise, at an idle inside the car it sounds like it has a blower on it, it sort off has a whine to it, but the scraping isn't as bad but still there, it has a bad squeel to it now, I pulled the belt again and made no difference. It sounds to be coming more from driver side than pass. Any and all input is greatly appreciated, I am about at the end of my rope with this one.

Thanks,
AL

Old 03-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Certified Members

Water pump is on drivers side of engine. There is a small belt under plastic cover, that holds plug wires, that drives it.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 PM

I pulled that belt also, and still didn't make a difference.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Certified Members

Are both noises present with both belts removed? You can remove torque converter bolts, move converter away from flywheel, then re-evaluate. if noise goes away - trans.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:03 AM

Yes, pulling both belts did not change the noise at all. How hard is it to get at the converter bolts??

AL

Old 03-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Alfonzo
Yes, pulling both belts did not change the noise at all. How hard is it to get at the converter bolts??

AL
a whole lot easier than pulling the whole transmission and a whole lot cheaper.

do you have a FSM? you might want to get one.

1994 CADILLAC DEVILLE & ELDORADO SERVICE MANUALS
Item: 310170554334

$60.00Buy It Now

Old 03-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Certified Members

Take a good look at the harmonic balancer(pulley) on the front of the crankshaft. Look to see if it is wobbling, or otherwise hitting on something.
Removing the converter bolts will tell you if the noise is trans related or not. Since the car has sat for a while, it's possible that something has gotten up inside the bellhousing, and is now making a noise. It's a longshot, but stranger things have happened...

Old 03-12-2010, 06:12 PM

i recently replaced the harmonic balancer because it was knocking while it was cranking, but noise was there before and after, forgot to put that in my original post.

AL

Old 03-23-2010, 10:30 PM

Any other ideas? About at my wits end with this thing.

AL

Old 03-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Certified Members

It may be the transmission pump, tho it is rare that they have problems. It's also possible that one of the bearings on the input shaft or driven gear is making the noise, but that noise would go away when in gear, at a stop, since there would be nothing but the pump turning at that point.
Dis-connecting the torque converter from the flywheel would help pin-point the noise, if it's coming form the trans.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Wierd Noises....