Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

Front Cover Stud

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Default Front Cover Stud

Was going to start my new engine yesterday. Before pressure-oiling the engine I started installing antifreeze. After starting the 2nd gallon I hear liquid dripping on the concrete.....Green Liquid. s.o.b. Found 2 leaksfrom the water-pump gasket. One at the low bolt under the pulley. The other from a missing stud on the upper left side of the cover. There are 3 studs in a row. Farthest oneleftis outside the block. The other two are within the block. The missing stud is one of these..This reman engine was stored for many/many years, so....could the gasket have dried out over this long a time? I think some RTV in that low bolt hole might seal that leak problem, but the missing stud is something else. I took the old WP off myreplaced engine to seewhat's what.That missing stud isa short 10mmfastener that is attached into a brass fitting. The brass fitting has a mushroom headand is pressed thru the front cover. I can measure .3" from the front surface of the WP cover before stopping at the front cover surface. Please, I need some fix ideas for this problem. Why it's leaking from that area just from gravity is puzzleing.....maybe 6qts installed before I stopped. Anyone who has experience with this problem? I'd very much appreciate some help....Thanks

Old 12-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Front Cover Stud

Is this on the 87 TH4100?

Old 12-07-2008, 10:01 PM

Yes it is.... I took photos of the engine after I bought it and one shows the missing fastener....no clue how to post a photo here......
Thanks for any help someone can offer!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Certified Members

Stud is made on to timing cover. Now the good and the bad: The bad to fix it right you need to replace timing cover. The good the 4.9l uses the same cover so getting one should be reasonable. A short self tapping screw may work if you are in a jam.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:51 PM

Took off the WP. No gasket/no RTV! Just a metal to metal seal! Installed a nice new blue gasket and tapped the offending hole, without penetrating the brass fitting,for a 1/4-20x1/4" screw.Still have my old engine, so I have the cover if need be. The 3 nuts on those studs are torqued at 5lbs, so a gasket and the screw should hold in the green ok. Thanks slowroll, I appreciate your help.