Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

'84 eldorado

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:15 AM
Default '84 eldorado

I am running up against constant deadends talking with performance engine rebuilders. I have owned a half a dozen or so 84-'85 Eldorados and have enjoyed them all with the exception of the slug of a motor. Is there anything that can be done to pump the power up in that 4.1? 249ci/135hp is a pain on a road trip. Rebuilders tell me that there is nothing they can do because of the computer system interface. If there was a way to get the power up to 200-250 hp the cruising world would change. They have suggested finding out if a later model 4.5 or 4.9 could be substituted. Basic question; what can be done to get more power. I am currently 2,500 miles into around a 5k road trip and every time it hits any kind of grade it just dogs down and struggles its way over the top.Thanks for any help. These are great highway cruisers except for the lack of muscle.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:48 PM

There are a limited number of engines that will transplant. You will need to find misc parts. See a very recent thread at the CadillacOwners.com Forum. That thread has a link to a good post that describes how one was done.

PS: Just found what I mentioned. Go to .... https://www.google.com/search?q=1984...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Open the Google headings, especially the YouTube ones, listed there and you'll find a lot of informant.

Last edited by Drbrown; 02-17-2018 at 05:27 PM.